Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all

I don't do my own work on the car (1971 Corniche), as most can no doubt tell from my questions.

I recently had a hose leaking some ATF when doing three point turns and so the hose was replaced. There was quite a bit of filling to do of ATF in the reservoir before I took it in for replacing the hose. However, with the leak and the level low, the power steering worked fine.

Now, with the hose replaced, the power steering tightens up when turning sharp left - not always, but mainly. When I check the ATF with engine still hot the level in the reservoir remains high. At first my mechanic and I both thought this must be air pockets working their way through the system, but it does not seem to be getting any better after about four journeys of say 25 to 30 miles each. What's the most obvious cause (repair a hose that was leaking ATF when level was low, but power steering was working, and now power steering in one direction - left - not so great)?.

It's a pity, as the beautiful power steering is part of the driving pleasure.

Could not find a basic trouble shooting for this.

Clever suggestions most welcome.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Purg air out of the system.
Purging with the engine running will not do it.
Remove cap on reservoir and turn the steering wheel lock to lock preferably with the front wheels off the ground.
If you have a helper, one can observe bubbles in the reservoir and they will diminish after a few cycles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wraithman - so just with engine off? In N? or P?

F

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
engine off. There is no steering column lock, so it has no effect. ie. Park is safest. , but elevate, it's easier on the components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts