Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm planning on reverse flushing the coolant system on my 88 SZ Spur. Got a couple of questions that have me scratching my head though. Does anyone know:

1) the exact size of blanking plugs I need for the radiator stub pipes, and any recommendations on where I can get them? There seems to be lots of these online, but I can't tell the precise size I need.

2) the best way to attach a waste pipe (and what to use even) to the upper inlet connection of the radiator?

3) The Service schedule says to 'Produce a suitable adaptor to fit onto the cover outlet (of the thermostat) and connect via a hose to the mains water supply.' Any suggestions on what to use here?

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can't help you with your questions, but a word of caution, don't allow the water pressure from your tap to build in the system.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Your best return on with your efforts would be to pull the radiator and have it boiled out. You have no idea how much junk is collected and attached to the radiator tubes.
You can visually see how much junk is attached by removing the top rad hose and using a flashlight.

Whatever you do, there will be residual junk circulating the system.
How do you collect it? Search radiator "sock". They are great in capturing the loose stuff.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I used the old hoses. (You'll no doubt be replacing those anyway if you're doing a flush.) I jury-rigged a couple of step down hoses all hose-clipped together.

I also turned up a fitting for the block plugs so I could put a length of hose on them. I think they were 3/8" BSP, but I can't remember for sure....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice folks. Went to start on this today and ran into a new problem before I could even start that I figured needs solving before proceeding further -

The workshop manual states that to refill I need to 'disconnect the radiator to expansion bottle hose from the radiator, and hold the hose above the level of the radiator top tank'. It looks like the hose is neatly connected to the radiator with a couple of setscrews and brackets (see red circles in photo). problem is I can't get these out. They unscrew okay but then just turn and turn, and no amount of wriggling or force seems to be able to disconnect them, meaning I can't get the hose off to hold it up above the radiator when I refill.

Questions -

1. The system clearly needs to have the right amount of (no) air in it when I refill. Can I simply disconnect the end of the hose from the radiator and hold this up (i.e. the end is above the radiator when I refill), or must the entire hose be lifted? What would the implications be of simply lifting the end and not the entire hose (doesn't the whole thing need to get filled anyway)?
2. If the entire hose must come out/up, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions how I can even get these setscrews out to enable the hose to come out?

Would love to hear thoughts before I proceed any further and screw something up.

Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts