Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Recently purchased my first "older" Bentley. Pulled the car out out yesterday and was met with a whining power steering pump. Checked the fluid level and, it doesn't even register on the dip stick (oddly enough the car is completely dry underneath).

Was wondering what kind of power steering fluid is recommended to refill the car with. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
684 Posts
If it's empty, check your garage floor, you probably have a leaky power steering rack. Where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked as soon as I heard the noise, completely dry floor. Was planning on refilling, and going from there. Just cant seem to find what kind of fluid I need, would anyone know? Brand recommendations as well?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Any automatic trans fluid is fine, or any mineral oil. If the reservoir continues to empty with nothing showing up on the floor the rack inner seals have failed and the inside of the rack is filling up with the fluid. It will get to a point where it will blow out of the bellows if that is what is happening. I rebuild them often and this is what one sees when the rack end seals fail. If the bellows are ripped it will end up on the floor right away, but if they are not you won't see it on the floor until the bellows fill up and blow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Makes sense as my mechanic mentioned to me the steering rack on these are almost a consumable item, and mine was the first he's seen in ages still on its original rack.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Dexron III. I blew one of the braided hoses on mine, and one of the pipes where the hoses enter the rack on a separate occasion. Both left plenty on the floor. ;) Never actually had an issue with the rack itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe there’s a leak as well. Gonna start off by filling the reservoir and seeing if it leaks, then go from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have problems with the power steering system my 1995 Continental R too and caught fire when I open the bonnet to check the smoke when I reached home the other day. The rack was recondition and change out but I suspect the pump is problem too. As if I look into the reservioir with the engine ideling, the oil return is very strong and lots of turbulent in the oil. I kept the oil very low but when it warm up it will spill through the cover breather hole and on to the hot exhaust manifold. At a 50 miles drive I have to keep topping up fluid ever 10 miles and later after the drive it spill it on the garage floor from the reservior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts