Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I know this has been discussed a bit in the past, but wanted to get the current consensus. I'm running a bit low on Mineral Fluid and wanted to top off my reservoir.

I was told to use TRW PFM201 LHM Plus. Wanted to make sure that is correct, as well as to confirm that the reservoir should be topped off with the car cold and off, on a flat surface, as well as tapping the float a few times to make sure it's not stuck.

Much appreciate all assistance.

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Top it off HOT. If you do it cold it will overflow as it gets hot and expands. You may have some mineral oil appear on the ground behind the left front tire when parked after a drive after topping off the reservoir. This is normal as it will find the correct level by itself if overfilled. It should only be a small amount and should stop after a couple drives.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the recommendations, much appreciated!

Apologies in advance if this is a simple question, but I'm new to these older Bentley's.

I've removed the covers for the hydraulic fluid containers in the engine compartment, but where do I refill them from? Additionally, is there a float inside?

Thank you in advance for all help.

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Nut Auto part

·
Registered
172 Posts
The sight glass is the cylinder in which the wires are connected. If you look at it from the side a green float will be visible when the tank is full.

The fill port is right above the sight glass. There is a plastic plug that comes out and a nozzle is inserted that pushes a check piece back. One trick is to always bend the hose to crimp it when inserting or removing the nozzle. This will eliminate spilling oil all over the tank.

Your plugs are broken. There is a thin plastic strap (visible on your bottom plug) that connects the plug to the retaining clip (also missing from the top tank).
Liquid Green Fluid Plastic bottle Personal care
Automotive tire Green Motor vehicle Gas Rim
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal Automotive tire

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your quick responses.

I do have an owners manual, but didn't see a refill procedure referenced inside.

I will try to open the broken plugs. However in photo below I can see the green mineral oil in the closer tank, but not in the further tank (the one closer to the engine). Should I be adding fluid to that further, closer to the engine tank only?

Additionally where can I purchase the attachment put on the bottle to fill the car?

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Metal Fuel line

·
Registered
172 Posts
Both tanks need to be filled independently and need to show the green float. The fill tubes come with the Bentley LHM bottles (Albers Motorcars 317-873-2360). I don't know if the off brand stuff includes them.

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
Inner tank is low, fill until green float is visible. Check and fill only after a drive so fluid is hot. It is common for the fluid to find its own level if overfilled, excess will leak out onto the ground behind left front tire. Filler tubes come with Castrol or Bentley bottles, no others. Filling info will be in owner's handbook.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've not got them with me to check but I'm fairly sure it's not in the owner's handbook, but is covered in the service handbook. They were originally stored with the toolkit in the rear, or at least that was the case for my Turbo R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts