Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I generally clean leather, including the leather in these cars, using saddle soap. The amount I'll use differs depending on how dirty the leather is.

I am not someone who believes that leather, any leather, is all that fussy about the exact care and feeding it gets if that care and feeding is suitable for leather in general. We're talking about upholstery leather, and in these cars it's not vat-dyed, but for all practical intents and purposes "painted." Most of the conditioning that can and does get to the leather depends on that paint having cracked (yes, at a level you can't obviously see, but cracked) so that the hide itself can draw in the conditioner.

I always loved the name, now abandoned, Connolley Hide Food. That was its exact purpose: feeding the hide (but not the dye). And that's what the mink oil, or any leather conditioner, really does: feed the hide and keep it supple. And supple leather doesn't crack all the way through until many, many decades have passed under typical circumstances (and if it's saddle leather - which our upholstery isn't - can have a service life of several human lifetimes if conditioned at reasonable intervals). Dry leather, however, will, and that's why it's essential to do whatever you can to "un-harden" really old, dry leather before ever putting it in a position where it's required to flex.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
Sorry, I should have said where I got those products from.

it was simple to do (but a lot of rubbing and scrubbing) and the instructions clear, even though obviously a "google translate" from French.
I was most impressed with the colour match they acheived from me sending them a peice of non sun faded leather.
A pic of the two door pads on the work bench , left and right as a "Before and after", and a pic of the end result attached.

IMG_5610c.jpg
Door trim L and R before and after.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That is most impressive - the interior looks v good indeed. Well done !
I'm wondering how you squeeze oil out of a mink - it must be a hell of a struggle !

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm not too surprised of the excellent colour match, when I was working we had a leather repair guy who was always telling us not to expect miracles, and yet he routinely achieved them.

I just used him these past few months, the hidem-wire-binding for my front seats only came in black and white.
He had to problem matching the colour of 891 brown from Connolly, and not only that, the correct sheen.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts