Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some heavy rain over the last few months and the Bentley being parked outside I discovered that I have a leaking Bentley now complete with moldy carpets, seat belts and that dreadful musty stinky smell of wetness, not nice at all and the smell of leather gone :cry:

Most of the mold was growing up the inner carpet panels on the front door post and the carpet. I have also found after washing the car that the door rubbers at the rear doors are letting in water around the window frames, but this will be addressed later. On investigating the cause of the mold in the front floor area I thought there could be a blockage in the drain holes under the scuttle panel which could cause water to build up and leak in through the fresh air vents under the dash. I removed the wipers and the scuttle panel to find small leaves and sticks clogging up the inner vent

Once I had removed the small vent there was more build up of debris further down and underneath the bulkhead, so with the aid of my camera I was able to see the extent of the blockage

This was impossible to clean out and my hand was not flexible or long enough to scrap out the muck to I attached a piece of garden hose to the hoover and slowly slid the pipe down into the cavity

Worked a treat and the end result was water now can be poured down the vent and comes out the exit pipe rather than finding its way into the driver floor pan via the fresh air vent.
Next will be the passenger side.

·
Registered
756 Posts
great result and pretty straightforward, I accidentally fell across this problem also while stripping thecar back for respray prep, used an industrial hoover then flushed themuck out so same result. I would have the carpets out and the undefelt and get the air arounsd them so that it gets a proper chance to dry out, might be wortha quick try with carpet cleaner to displace the odour.
The rear door seals are known problem, there is a kit available which is a stick on door seal solution to existing door seal to increase the size and seal properly, I have one at the rear which needs attention so like you will get around to it eventuallly as it climbs the list of priorities
best of luck, ps while I had this cover off I painted out the vent rea in black and attended to loose paint and rust, like wise under the cover reoved the flaking paint and hammerited the undercover
That should see out the life of the car, also tried the "wick effect" on the wiper spidles which has been suggested previously to lubricate the wiper spindles and improve speed and movement, pretty simple, I wrapped the spindle in cotton wool then taped to spindle, soked the cotton in light oil and then left the wiper motor running for about tweny minutes re topping up the cotton, ther was an obvious improvement to spindle speed and therefore less load on the motor a nice easy fix

best regards

John

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the extra advice motorman, I am cleaning up as I go.
On to the passenger side and pretty much in the same state.

Now looking well clear :)

Noticing something like flaking paint I ran the hoover end down on what was needing clearing up to discover the wiring loom cover fairly much non existent :shock:

Not much left of this at all, this will be why the electrics are starting to play up, (it is virtually dripping down on top of the main fuse box area) and I would say is 90% of the water entry into the cabin.
Time now to make up a new cover plate and add plenty of sealant.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I had cleared the passenger side of all the debris I tipped water down the drain holes, expecting the water to drain away as quickly as did the drivers side........Wrong. It just sat there nearly an inch deep, no amount of prodding and poking helped the water drain away. Eventually with the aid of a piece of garden hose and compressed air and attacking it from both ends it eventually drained :D It was a build up of grease and rust proofing that had managed to stick in the drain escape. I could feel the air passing through, but it wouldn't allow the water to drain through. However it finally let go with all the physical action.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this leak finding business is turning into a job I am not really looking forward to. The front carpets have been soaked with the water that I thought best to remove them, starting with the passenger side, actually the carpet was only damp, it is the underlay and the sponge under that that is absolutely soaking, so in order to get this underlay out meant removing the front seat. The thought of removing the seat was good, the actual doing part is going to be hard as the seat power is non operative, other words dead as a Dodo. At least I was able to undo the 2 front bolts enough to then undo the 2 small screws holding down the heater ducting so I could slide out the soaking wet underlay. Looking at the left hand inner door post and the wiring plugs it looks like they have been saturated over a period of time in water too. I think the best option for me now is to strip out the centre console, both seats and part of the dash to see how much water damage has been done. I notice yesterday when we took the car for a run that the ABS wasn't working leaving a building centre with a gravel drive. The systems check shows up ABS. Man water can do so much damage, also have no dash lights, cruise had a mind of its own too when we were out in the car.
The interior looks quite simple to disassemble and I would say that the 2 front seats are the first to be removed and then the console?
I will keep up dating my progress as time permits.

Peter

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So much for my Bentley I thought didn't leak :roll: . The plot thickens and now at this stage it gives me a better view of what is needing to be done.

Believe it or not it was very simple to strip out the console, as long as you mark the plug connections as some colours are not colour matched :shock:

As I had found where most of the water was getting in on the passenger side I| took a look up under the dash on the drivers side and find this.

Fortunately it is not rusted through, more the moisture has got under the paint and started to corrosion the metal surrounding the wiring, hopefully I have caught this in time. What I have found is the active ride ecu has water dripping out of it, this unit sits under the dash on the passenger side and directly under the hole where 90% of the water was getting in. Looks like there will be a bit of work to do on the ecu's as well :cry:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The saga continues, the wiring was next to be removed and as I started to do this, good old car builders fail to amaze me, all the wiring unplugs quite easily except for the other part of the loom which then went into the main loom :roll: and this is not an option for me to unravel.

so it was left with just this wire

However then it needed all the plug ends to be removed from the loom as well, again not an option.
I made up the rubber seal and the outer frame to hold everything in place but found it an act to get into place.

May not look too pretty but I think it will do the trick and keep out the water.

It is now sealed up using silicone rubber sealant, the next step will be to refit all the underlay once it is completely aired, dried and smell free
:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Excellent post Peter, mine stood outside through all the rain of the last few months and only leaked a little on the drivers side, I cleared the area under the wipers a while back but didn't find much in there. Didn't realise though there was another void under the closing panel so I'll have to check that out.
While I had the wipers and mesh off I serviced the wiper spindles, I dismantled them by removing the spring clip and washer, under the washer is an o ring which on mine had virtually completely worn away. After cleaning out the rust with WD40 I dripped chain lube down the spindles, I then fitted new o rings with a blob of grease to help keep water out then the washer and spring clip. My wipers were much improved afterwards, no more juddering and almost silent in operation.
Regards
Graham

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I'll post my little, and hopefully welcome, addition to all this.

In your photos you're already in the area of myriad ground/earth connections plus a slew of single and multi slide connectors. Do yourself a favor:

1. Take a few minutes to take those ground connections apart, clean them up thoroughly, coat them with electrically conductive grease then put them all together.

2. Take those connectors apart and, at the very least, give them a spritz with the de-oxidant of your choice. Ideally, after you've done this, either give them a coating of the same grease noted above for the exposed slides or put a tiny dab in each "cell" of the multi connectors with a toothpick before you put them back together.

These cars are legendary for issues caused by poor ground/earth and corrosion on electrical connections. You will undoubtedly thank yourself many times over when you don't have to deal with these issues in the future in areas you have easy access to now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it may help others Graham with leaking SZ Models, usually it's the screens that let water in in most cars and the door rubbers being split or just passed there use by date. It's amazing what nooks and crannies are in car bodies when it comes to the fresh air and venting tunnels. All sorts of debris and stuff get trapped. Nice job with your wipers, once I have the car back together again I will leave it outside when it rains to check for leaks again, may even use the hose if there is no rain. I will treat the wipers mechanism to some TLC too.
Thanks for your input guyslp, much appreciated and very welcome, I like all the advice I can get and I have dealt to most of the earth points and plug connections around and under the dash so far. (very time consuming, but then I am in no rush) It looks like this car has had some electrical issues in the past, found 2 by-passed plug sockets and one plug left unconnected, the car has never had the dash panel lights work and with any luck this was the plug, time will time. Also found the plug connection for the Cruise control wasn't pushed fully home, might account for the cruise's mind of its own operation.
It is amazing how much water these hold, the drivers side is now completely dry, this passenger one is quite the little sponge,

but they have to be completely bone dry otherwise I will still suffer from the misty window syndrome :D

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
While you have the rubberized floor insulation out, *definitely* wash the underside with a 10-20% bleach solution *after* testing a tiny spot to make sure it doesn't "eat" the fibers. (Wool, for instance, dissolves almost immediately when touched by chlorine bleach). If it's made of the same stuff I remember I believe it will be unharmed by chlorine bleach, but testing first is essential.

Even though it will take longer to dry, this will kill off the mold/mildew and at that concentration does not need to be rinsed out unless you want to do so. If you do want to rinse, let the solution sit for at least 15 minutes before doing so.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried the bleach but it took the colour from the under mat, so I used warm soapy water, the drying process was helped with a good powerful hair dryer and a deodoriser :D
It is slowly coming back together.

My biggest issue now is the electrics, doesn't matter what I do or how careful I am with plugs I will always end up with a problem and that is what I now have. Hopefully it is because the seats are not plugged in, there seems to be one big earthing problem, once I switch the ignition on. Fuel gauge reads full, oil pressure not working, volt metre also not operative, even the speedo needle drops backwards :roll: Me and electrics :evil:
I even taped each plug to identify where it goes on assembly and I still get it wrong :shock:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have plugged the seats and all remaining plugs and sure enough, it still have the electrical problem, and to add the rev count and the speedo are not working. I will now save up and get in an auto electrician who can sort out what I have completely messed up.
Under no circumstances allow me to give you guys any advice on car electrics, not even if I am the only guy left in the world :roll:
Watch this space :?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well its being a while and I am still waiting for the Auto Electrician to sort out my mess, me thinks a third reminder to him may jog his memory :roll:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roll on a couple of months and the Auto Electrician still not any closer so I called another Auto Electrician I have used in the past and said he would come and take a look this Saturday. (And here is dedication, he was a passenger in a car crash on Thursday, battered and bruised he still turns up :shock: )
I now have dash instrument lights

Sorry about the quality :cry: Plus all the other issues I had created were fixed :lol: so one happy camper.
It has turned out that the radio has been change 3 times and who ever the bungler was made each fit a wiring nightmare using power feeds to earth and earths to power feeds, it was only by luck that it was still going that was until I took it apart, this was hen all the problems started as I refitted the connections. Still I am never going to touch wiring again, even fitting a fuse, or change a light bulb!!!!
Now I will have to get the old girl moted and tax as these ran out while sitting unloved since March.
PS the lights on the dash look fabulous 8)

·
Registered
756 Posts
When in dobt get he right guys in every time
A couple of hours yes granted as usual with the trades getting them there can be challenging

GReat result

best regards

JOHN :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes you are certainly right, a bit like fitting aftermarket parts, best with the genuine articles :wink:
Mind you it was worth the wait as I have not had dash lights since owning the car :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had to get the Auto Electrician back to finish off a couple of jobs that I had added when he was here last, and an embarrassing moment when I told him I had a bad earth too on the N/S headlight. When I switched on the side lights things worked well, except when the ignition was switched on the N/S headlight would light up but slightly dimmer than normal low beam. Bad earth? Yep that's what I thought, it didn't take the electrician long to tell me that it wasn't a bad earth, but dim dip :shock: What :?: Dim dip, there is a fault in the control box thingy (forget what he called it) but it wasn't allowing the O/S headlight to come on with just the side lights on and the ignition on!
Confused, I was until he told me that in the late '80's some cars were fitted with it as it was going to be law in European form to not drive on side lights only, apparently it was a short lived idea! I now have the fuse removed!!
Next step is to get the car moted which is booked in for next Tuesday.....Fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
another years MOT as he breathes out a sigh of relief.
I always tremble with trepidation if the guy undrstands its a park brake not a hand brake !!!
Great to hear the car flew through the test

best regards

John :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts