Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Classic License Plate

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  hesketh 
#1 ·
Hello

Is there a consensus with Shadow 1 UK owners for a preferred type of classic number plate?

I understand that there’s a rolling system where cars over 40yrs can have the black background.

Have been checking out choices on the Framptons website (saw them at the Classic Car Show at the NEC) and quite like the ACE Digits option.

http://framptonsplates.com/CarPlates.html

Just wondering if there are any No-No’s before I commit.

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi Jonathan,

JCR15P would look good but sadly someone has it on a green RangeRover:crying

Only No No's would be one with the EU on it:x:lol: but then you do have to have at least a GB motif on the car if going to France regularly.

Also watch out where you park in France.........they like the flying lady from the front grille as souveneirs

Yes you can have black backgrounds now on cars over 40 years. I prefer the stamped aluminium ones (got mine off eBay for £10 pair) but the Elan has to have the raised digits as it goes onto a mesh air intake grille at the front. What has not been made clear though is if the plate has to carry the BS code as this was NOT required on cars up to 1972

Those ACE ones look nice and I definitely think you need silver digits not white. What does look nice though IMHO on the RR is the chrome surrounds to fit the plate into.

All the best

Steve

Attachments

#3 ·
Hi Steve - I spotted under the menu option ‘MiscPlates’ that there are some GB ovals. I’ll get one of those and maybe put some magnetic pads on the back.

Where did you get your backing plate with chrome surround from? Agreed it sets the number plate off nicely. ��

Do you have them on the front too?

Cheers

#4 ·
Hi Jonathan,

Those magnetic pads are bad news as they can plastercise into the paint if left on especially in the sun.

Anyway the boot skin is aluminium. Just find one that can be put in the back window corner as they only have to be on the rear.

Yes I have the chrome surrounds front and rear. They were not expensive just chrome on plastic. There are some cheap ones though I bought and looked terrible as there were sink marks in the plastic mould which looked like dents once the chrome had been put on.

All the best

Steve

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Jonathan,

No I don't know the car..........it's MOT history though does not bode well and always the first thing I look at before going to check out any car for someone.

If nothing more you can focus in on things.....................

Just wait till I check yours out next week:devil:devil:devil

Can't wait to sit in the back and think I have sat on something the Queen has

All the best

Steve

#8 ·
Hi Steve - so went with Pressed Aluminium in the end with a silver border.
Should be arriving next week.

Can’t wait to get the old ones off!

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.