Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
4,715 Posts
Being able to remove the heater valve depends heavily on what tools you have. That includes universals, universal sockets, open wrenches etc. The 2 fasteners are BA2. I would suggest buying a 1'4" drive BA socket set and wrench set. If you do your own repairs this is a must since everything on the car under 1/4 dia is BA.
Once the tool part is figured out, removing is not a problem and the reservoir above is left in place. Your biggest hassle may be the hoses, they may be stubborn when removing. Use dish soap to slide them back on.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
[Note: I thought I had hit the send button on this around noon today, but rushed out before having done so. Some of this has been covered by others but I'm leaving it "as is."]

Yes, you can. No, it will not be fun. Been there, done that.

If it is leaking, you really have no choice. If you just believe it's stuck, then I'd disconnect the cable and try to manually unstick it.

It's also not uncommon for the securing screw for the cable to the tap lever to become loose and the cable just slides through. You may (and I do say may) have a worst case scenario where the tap was frozen, the securing screw not loose, and the end of the cable will now be badly damaged from having been pushed and pulled in place so many times.

This was not one of Crewe's best design choices.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha. Tbh. I think it's easier to turkey baster the thing. It might need a bit Moore preparation but then you can probably reach the valve nicely and clean everything up. I need to change the top hose as well. Got the parts from intro already. I just wanted to be sure I don't over do it. I don't have my own place yet to work. So I need to see how extensive the jobs get.
I need to replace sphere 1 as well. Will probably do both together then. Right now I'm loosing a lot of coolant and have to figure out where. I can't really tell so far.. Bummer

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
You do NOT have to remove the brake fluid reservoir to replace the heater water valve. The instructions in the factory workshop manual are clear that you do not have to remove the reservoir. For what it's worth, the RR book time is 1.5 hours to replace the water valve. This includes draining and refilling the cooling system. The space to get at the valve is limited, so it is a bit fiddly to get one's hands in there. The hoses attached to the water valve are usually the last to be replaced and I often find them close to failing, so you should consider replacing them while you have the valve out.

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
I guess it depends on dexterous your fingers are and if you have the correct tools. You'll need a 1/4 inch drive small ratchet with a short extension and a 2BA socket (11/32 six point socket will work too) and a 2BA or 11/32 open or box end wrench. A small rare earth magnet over the side of an open or box end wrench will hold the nuts and washers in place to start them blind or, a second socket and short extension will allow you get the bottom nut and washer on blind while holding the bolt with another.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey ma friends... so I am back at this... and my fingers are to fat :).. I got one screw out.. the easiest.. but cant get the others.. I realzied the hose to the front pump is bad anyhow.. So I will remove the reservoir.. Do I need new gaskets or O rings?.. the fluid has just been changed 6 months ago and filters are good ?... I dont wanna miss parts once I have it apart

· Registered
4,630 Posts
the fluid has just been changed 6 months ago and filters are good ?... I dont wanna miss parts once I have it apart
The gravity feed hoses to the pumps are nothing more than EPDM heater hose of the necessary diameter. I have discussed this in the Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow/Bentley T and Silver Shadow II/Bentley T2 Hydraulic Hose Substitution Chart, in RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation.

Since you know you're going to pitch the original hose, I would simply clamp it shut slightly upstream of where it connects to the pump, then after you've released the Jubilee clip at that end, have a spotlessly clean container ready, unclamp the line, and allow that side of the reservoir to drain into the container. You can put the fluid back in to the reservoir through the regular opening after you have the replacement hose attached.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
I couldnt get the front high pressure line off so far.. super tight.
To what, precisely, are you making reference?

There are no high-pressure lines either to or from the reservoir. The gravity feed hoses to the pumps are "no pressure" since they are, well, gravity fed. The return hose from the ACV to the reservoir is low pressure, just letting fluid go straight back to the reservoir when the accumulator is not being actively charged. It's like a "full open" between the pump and the reservoir, and in that case no pressure builds up. You can actually witness how slow and gentle that flow is if you have the reservoir open and the baffles out. There is not a geyser of fluid being pushed back in by the return hose, but just a small disturbance on the surface of the fluid in the reservoir above where that port enters on the bottom.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry Brian.. absolutely right.. at the accumulators the hose is low pressure - the return.. and the steel pipes are high pressure.. I was talking about the steel pipes below the reservoir.. the pipes that go to the pumps.. steel but still low pressure

1 - 20 of 31 Posts