Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently the welcome email says:

Thanks for registering at Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.
Make sure to introduce yourself here : <a href="http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/17-new-member-introductions/">New Member Introductions</a>
All the best,
Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums
Since new users MUST be approved before they can post in any other categories, can you change the welcome message to be more clear about this? Something like:

Thank you for registering at Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums. We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Before you are approved to post in the forums you MUST introduce yourself here:
<a href="http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/17-new-member-introductions/">New Member Introductions</a>

This is done to reduce the number of spam accounts. Thank you for understanding.

Regards,
Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I think this is good so far as it goes. I'd separate the "spam." sentence to its own paragraph, and put something like, "The new member introductions forum is really meant to serve just that purpose. If you've come to rollsroyceforums.com looking for technical assistance please post to the technical forum appropriate to the specific car you have the question about," before the, "Thank you for your understanding," line.

We have, of late, had quite a few people launching into their first requests for help, which is most likely what they've come here for, on the New Member Introductions forum. Since there is a part of the readership that pays no attention to that forum, and very often the thread titles have no connection to the issue on which help is requested, these requests can end up being "buried and ignored" when they'd be promptly attended to if posted in the correct forum to begin with.

The need to teach forums "netiquette" is becoming more and more necessary in recent years. It seems all the cyber-world has begun treating every venue as though it were social media <shudder>.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think this is good so far as it goes. I'd separate the "spam." sentence to its own paragraph, and put something like, "The new member introductions forum is really meant to serve just that purpose. If you've come to rollsroyceforums.com looking for technical assistance please post to the technical forum appropriate to the specific car you have the question about," before the, "Thank you for your understanding," line.

We have, of late, had quite a few people launching into their first requests for help, which is most likely what they've come here for, on the New Member Introductions forum. Since there is a part of the readership that pays no attention to that forum, and very often the thread titles have no connection to the issue on which help is requested, these requests can end up being "buried and ignored" when they'd be promptly attended to if posted in the correct forum to begin with.

The need to teach forums "netiquette" is becoming more and more necessary in recent years. It seems all the cyber-world has begun treating every venue as though it were social media <shudder>.

I will certainly second the above.
I wonder if members who post questions on the "New Members Introductions" can be politely be told to post in the appropriate sections. This is not the first time this subject has been raised and as said before, it is getting worse.
I fear this will carry on and I for one am going to stop helping members who post questions in this section.

Jake

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I agree too with Brian and Jake, from what I understood and with the suggested modification.
But, Spam is not the main reason.
I agree with Brain suggextion " The new member introductions forum is really meant to serve just that purpose. If you've come to rollsroyceforums.com looking for technical assistance please post to the technical forum appropriate to the specific car you have the question about," before the, "Thank you for your understanding," line.

I will add somewherre : You must introduce yourself and your car before asking any technical questions in the right section.

Jean

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Jean,
You're a relative newcomer, so would be unaware of the history of the New Members Introduction forum.

It originated as a spam trap, pure and simple. We were experiencing a massive (for us, anyway) uptick in registrations, probably machine registrations, where immediately afterward those new "users" would start flooding any or all of the forums with advertising of some sort. Because it was obvious these were machine registrations, AKA spambots, the decision was made to create New Member Introductions since real human beings actually read the message that comes to them when they register and then post to that forum, whereas spambots don't.

The spambot traffic dropped to zero literally overnight, and has remained that way since. The purpose of introducing oneself is an "added bonus," and one I welcome.

·
Administrator
197 Posts
We can definitely change the email message, but I think we don't want to tip our hand too much to spammers. While most of spam posts come from bots, these bots occasionally have something I like to think of as a "Shepard", a real person who checks in to see if the messages are getting on. Typically once a site gets to hard for the bots, they just move on to other targets, but if we display our method of blocking them, there is a chance the Shepard might take notice and add the necessary changes to get through.

So changing the message to let users know that they MUST post in the new member section is a good idea, I think it would be best to drop any mention of why.

As always though, I bow to the will of the people

Kevin

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I think it would be best to drop any mention of why.
I have absolutely no objection to dropping the mention of "why" because it's really not relevant (though the discussion here of its history will enlighten newer members).

What's important is that a new member understands that they must post an introduction message in the state forum before they can post elsewhere, and be reminded that if they've got a technical question and are chomping at the bit to ask it they should do so in the appropriate technical forum, not in introductions. [It's a bad idea just for archival and search purposes and I've found myself accidentally responding to technical questions in New Member Introductions rather that giving a nice redirect to the technical forums when I'm not paying close attention to where I'm reading at the moment.]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts