Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

New to this forum so be gentle!!

I have a bentley RT 1998 and the lock on the boot does not unlock by the key but does with the pod. The problem is the car battery is flat and to jump the car i need to get in the boot!! now is the dilemma, i once had a mechnic that came out put a knife down near the fuse book in the front of the car and put the jump leads on the knife and when i used the pod it unlocked the car but unfortunatly i never seen where he put it so im hoping someone here can help me.

Any help would be great

Thanks in advance

Callum

·
Registered
29 Posts
If this was my problem. Would call around for local locksmith's who can pick locks and have them open the trunk. Second, despite being done by lot's of people with no trouble. I never jump start my cars. Either trickle charge battery or buy a new one. Just an opinion, that doing this way is potentially less expensive in the long run.

·
Registered
77 Posts
bainy88 said:
Hi folks

New to this forum so be gentle!!

I have a bentley RT 1998 and the lock on the boot does not unlock by the key but does with the pod. The problem is the car battery is flat and to jump the car i need to get in the boot!! now is the dilemma, i once had a mechnic that came out put a knife down near the fuse book in the front of the car and put the jump leads on the knife and when i used the pod it unlocked the car but unfortunatly i never seen where he put it so im hoping someone here can help me.

Any help would be great

Thanks in advance

Callum
I think I see what your auto electrical guy did. Basically he linked into a fuse that should be permanently live on the fuse board. Look at your circuit diagrams and locate such a fuse, you could then pull that fuse, and with a knife blade, push into the contact (where the battery end of the fuse blade pushes in). You then have a connection to the battery +ve. With the +ve jump lead connected to this and the negative to a suitable ground, you could charge the battery a little (recommended) or connect straight to another battery (brute force) to allow the central locking to function and release the boot lock.

Just a thought... Rob.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same thing happened here - BUT I could still open the boot lock with the regular key.

Usually I lock the car with by my key chain remote control - same way to open the car. When the battery went down over the winter months I opened the trunk juyt by turning the key appopriately. I never encountered your above problem.

IF it should happen one day, I will link a battery charger to the starter motor and ground, this should do the job and no fiddling with the lock is necessary.

Best bet might be a standard truck socket (24V) somewhere in the engine compartment that is directly connected to the battery. This simplifies charging the battery (with 12 Volts of course!) and even jump starting the car and noone has to clear the trunk. :)

Regards JimKnopf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts