Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one,

I was wondering when RR put a catalytic converter on the SS1
I have a 1972 SS1
The car runs great with no load no black smoke from exhaust pipe when you rev. up the engine but puter in drive and hit the throttle it's a dog.

Going down the road at 70 and floor the throttle the trans down shifts the engine seams to rev. up but no more speed it will actually slow down because now I am in 2nd gear. even on take off you better have a clear road it will take awhile for it to get rolling. It's the same eng. hot or cold

New plugs & wires, airfilter, checked dwell and timing it's on the money, cleaned the carb. pistons put new oil in the top. checked vac. hoses
like it's holding back or some thing... have to just about floor board the throttle to get 70 mph. melted the alumimum shield off the front muffler
saturday....
I am lost ????? if it was pumping raw fuel in the exhaust it should burn black when you rev. up the engine right ???
if I was getting fuel starvation in 48 miles I have burned 10 gal of gas so I think I can rule out the pump and filter

Please has anybody had this problem before

Thank you for your time
Glenn,

· Registered
5 Posts
you have a 72, are you sure you have a catalytic converter. i have a 72 and i know i dont have a Cat. check your Fuel filler... if there is a fuel restrictor than you have a Cat... your car should also have an "Unleaded Fuel" sticker both on the dash and on or around the gas cap, because at the time everyone was used to using regular leaded fuel and that stuff would destroy cats almost on contact. it does sound as though you have checked everything else. i hope for your sake you do have a cat, if so just unbolt the front half or even the exhaust at the manifold flanges and take it out on the road. if you have power than youve found the problem

· Registered
235 Posts
Cat clogged?

My SS1 1975 has no cat, but this is an English car.

I could suggest did you check the petrol-filter? It is just in front of the rear axle.

BTW. I never drove 70 miles +, is it a good ride for such an old car?

Hemmo

· Registered
4,629 Posts
Could this be a transmission problem? I'm just thinking aloud right now.

What do things sound like when you're revving the engine in Park/Neutral?

I have a 1978 Shadow II that is European specification and they weren't equipped with catalytic converters even then. I agree with the other poster who questioned whether you'd even have catalytic converters. However, something's definitely wrong if a heat shield is melting off of your exhaust system. You might want to check with your local exhaust guys to see if they've ever encountered this sort of thing on any car without catalytic converters.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
catalytic converter on the SS1 may be cloged please help

Good evening guys,
Thank you so much for your quick responds

I have found on the RR library...
On the exhaust cat/muffler
Now the muffler and cat/muffler both styles look the same it's a two in one unit.

The information contained in this chapter is applicable
to the single pipe, four box and twin pipe,
six box systems.
Heatshields are fitted to the underbody of all
cars above certain parts of the exhaust system.
Certain cars built to North American and Japanese
emission control regulations are fitted with a catalytic
converter in place of the front silencer;
grass -fire shields are suspended under the pipework
and later under the silencers and catalytic
converter.
In 1975 a six box, twin pipe system with balance
pipe and angled tail pipes was introduced on
Corniche cars destined for countries other than
Australia, Canada, Japan and the U.S.A. as shown
in Figure Q1 - Exhaust configurations.

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/19.pdf

Check out chapter U Page U166 from the Workshop Manual from this site

http://rrtechnical.info/sy/tsd2476/24.pdf

Thank you for all your help

Hemmo, the car drives like a dream at 70+

Thanks again,
Glenn

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guyslp,

The car sounds fine in park whan rev. up engine
it does have a hard shifting from 1 to 2 I think it's been setting up awhile.
Thanks
Glenn

Hemmo,

I haven't checked the fuel filter in the rear yet, I was thinking about the fuel I was using, so much that I don't think the filter should be cloged or dirty but I will check it out this weeking it dont cost nothing to look at it just some time.
Thanks,
Glenn

MURDOMINO,

I have no unleaded fuel stickers on dash or fuel tank door,
only the 100 octane sticker in the fuel door

Thanks
Glenn

· Registered
235 Posts
Glenn, I'm not sure about your problems. The car is holding back at 70 MPH after kickdown? Maybe the limiter is kicking in. Or, but i consider this is for RR unlikely, you have worn out "valve-axles". My BMW 750iL had this problem (and also the BMW 525, half the 750-engine) from about 3500 RPM (170 km/h). Needed to change the "valve lifting axles" :?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hemmo,

I took off the front muffler today and still the same,
So I took off the carbs. and intake unit and cleaned both carbs. and intake to my surprise the carbs were clean filters clean bowels also so I touch them up and put them back on also reinstalled the muffler, WELL it runs better then before, a quick takeoff for about 1 second then bog down.
A quick respond from the throttle rev. in park

the engine don't shake no back fire no black smoke it's crazy
Hard to believe i'm a aircraft mechanic
The Rolls Royce is a beautiful car but really over engineered

the engine runs to good to be in the fuel or spark

Now i'm thinking it may be in the trans it's a very hard shift almost wip lash from 1 to 2 not bad from 2 to 3 but you can still feel the jurk
I know the turbo 400 is almost bullerproof
I will talk to the trans. guys Tuesday

Where are the valve axes on the Rolls located

Glenn

· Registered
235 Posts
You shouldn't have cleaned the carbs, bc i think they never get clogged. Check main fuel filter at the rear axle...

To keep going with your car without making large expenses you can next replace the ignition coil as their capacity very slowly runs down. I replaced mine and the spark cables too an didn't regret it :)

Good luck,

Hemmo

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took off the main fuel filter today it's clean looks like some one had replaced it... I guess the guy who owned the car before me was trying to fix the problem also and gave up.
you may be right in the coil
I have replaced the plugs (NGK) and wires checked the cap and rotor, points, they look new.
I did find when you rev up the car in park and let go the throttle on the way down it has some light back fire through the exhaust
It may be the coil

Glenn

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I have found my problem
I was taking off the plug wires one by one at the cap and notice 3 of the wires when removed. the engine did not change in lugging down
so I cleaned the points and starded the car.
It runs ok maby a little ruff then bang through the exhaust like the spark is late or trying to make then dies

Need a tune up big time

· Registered
235 Posts
SS1 ignition problem

If you checked and changed about the fuel and ignition-line you may reset the spark-timing...or fit in an electronic ignition :)

Hemmo

· Registered
1,558 Posts
What I want you to do is start from the beginning
1 check and adjust carb float level if needed and clean the needle valve this must be right and NOT near enough
Check that the throttle linkages are working all the way evenly all so have a look at the choke flap is operating
Reset points and check that there not gone white in the contact tips if they are change the points and condenser check the advance and retard is working
Check you have the correct firing order
Reset timing with advance pipe off
Fuel lines can get damaged so have a look
Check the fuel flow and presser to make shore you have enough flow
You don’t have a cat as you’re in Texas
And your G/Box is ok as if it was playing up it would be screaming its Ti*** off
If you work on jets then you know it has to be right
When you have don all this let me know
Michael

· Registered
235 Posts
SS1 engine problems

Glenn, if youre a fast driver a valve can be burned just like you told me. How many miles has your car covered?
If a valve is burned the rest will have suffered too so this is possibly a nasty problem.

I am thinking of buying a breaker with low mileage and if you like you can buy the cilinderheads from me. This will be much cheaper than 2 head revisions.... :roll:

Hemmo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.