Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continental R started as normal and ran for a approximately 10 mins. without any warning the car shut off and would not start again.

Auto electrician traced the fault to a faulty relay - I think that it controls the fuel pumps and other things. This has been replaced and the car seems to be ok now..... :unsure:

Has anyone else had a problem with this part failing.

IMG_4486.PNG IMG_4487.PNG

I could not get a metal replacement so now have one with a plastic cover - Are the metal ones still available?

I am based in the UK, and would consider swapping out the plastic relay for the original metal look....

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in the US but I've been told the old metal ones are no longer available. The plastic Bosch relays are available from multiple sources (in the US from Amazon for about $12.00 [c. 10.00 GBP] each). You can replace ALL of the relays in your car for less than $500. They can be located by consulting the TSD on the Bentley Heritage site. I've replaced all the 30+ year old relays in my SZ cars. The total time to install was about 30 minutes per car. It's so easy and inexpensive it doesn't seem worth being inconvenienced (or worse) by a failure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi do you want the metal one to retain the original look. ??
Im also in the uk and have a few of the metal ones hanging around

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes, this relay is a classic and should be in glove box.
The metal one with red mark is difficult to find, you should at least by one original inadvance from Blue, or 2 if you are purist and want the metal original one on your car with red mark.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jean, I did not know that this relay fault was common and it is advisable to have a spare... Thanks for the advice..
Yes, this relay is a classic and should be in glove box.
The metal one with red mark is difficult to find, you should at least by one original inadvance from Blue, or 2 if you are purist and want the metal original one on your car with red mark.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Which car/year do you have, because I might advice another essential relay to keep in glove box !

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hi Blazer,
I strongly suggest you have in glove box
  • 1 Engine management relay
  • 1 fuel pump relay
  • 1 switch box coupler UD72522

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi where on the car can I find these relays.
I’ll go and buy new Bosch ones and change them.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It depends on years, for Blazer they are under the bonnet, under black plastic, right side for LHD

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
OK, s different from Blazer.

To be checked with your VIN, but engine management relay is defferent before 94 and after.

Fuel pump relay should be the same

Usually, those 2 relays are under the bonnet. If you have black plastic cover there are under, around the shock absorber area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts