Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to remove the trim pad at the side of the aircon switch panel, the vertical one to the right of a passenger's knee on a RHD car (or v.v.)? The tech manual is little help, it says to remove it using a wedge-shaped tool, but where should it be levered, top, bottom, sides? I am concerned I might break it by doing the wrong thing. The parts catalogue might be helpful if I could find the part.

Any help, please?

Alan D.

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Panic over. I've discovered that if the top of the panel is levered out with as much force as one can dare to bring to bear, a corner comes away and the rest can be cammed out easily. It's held in with a few spring clips, and a bit of age. So that's what the manual should say.

Alan D..

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geoff, those pictures are exactly what I wanted to see. I had pried and shoved a wide screwdriver into the gaps but was afraid of damaging the pads. I reasoned it out after a while and realised that probably it hadn't moved for 50 years, and it HAD to come out from the top.

I wanted to remove it to install automatic cabin temperature control when using the cooling system. Look at the Australian forum under "Charge quantities for R134A"

Alan D.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi Alan

I've been following your thread on the Australian forum - very useful and interesting.

The charge quantities and other info is useful as I intend to convert my A/C from R12, when it stops blowing cold air - it's ok at the moment so will hopefully be a couple of summers off.

Geoff

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The trim pads also tend to stick to adjacent leather surfaces just like the elbow pads on the door cards. Use care with a plastic scraper to gently pry apart. The pad retainer usually develops a bit of corrosion.
Series II cars do not have this setup.

·
Registered
1971 Bentley T
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Wraithman, I think that someone had used a particular leather dressing that turns gummy after a few years. I've cleaned the panel and applied a Gliptone dressing which seems OK in that respect - I've used it almost everywhere and found no problems. I don't have the energy to do the other fiddly bits. Volunteers?

Alan D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts