Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The most important part of the inspection process is choosing a shop or individual that knows what he is looking at. If they have inspected RR/B before, request a few inspection reports to prove it. Don't believe anything unless it can be proven.
Remember..you want a vehicle to be inspected, this is not an appointment with the dry cleaners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Understood (y)

Does anyone have any opinion on turbo vs non-turbo models? I'm not sure I really need the turbo, but I think the turbo has more potential in being a future classic. Though at the end of the day I might just be over the moon wafting about in a Brooklands or Mulsanne.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The turbo variant has more potential for future problem$ especially since so much depends on driving habits of the previous custodian.
Turbos and head gaskets have been mentioned in the same sentence many times and usually when there is an issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can recommend Prestige Services in Leeds, who have been looking after my Turbo R for almost 10 years now, before my ownership) they really know the cars and will only do what is needed.

To tell the difference, I think all the Bosch ones have the 3 speed column shift, or to be sure just look under the bonnet, the Zytec ones are covered in plastic whereas the Bosch once’s have a big metal intake with TURBO written on it!

571785F1-17DD-4B8C-B256-93373929CB3C.jpeg 1412B6F9-F0D2-4957-A1E3-6E0E6E253CDA.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I can recommend Prestige Services in Leeds, who have been looking after my Turbo R for almost 10 years now, before my ownership) they really know the cars and will only do what is needed.

To tell the difference, I think all the Bosch ones have the 3 speed column shift, or to be sure just look under the bonnet, the Zytec ones are covered in plastic whereas the Bosch once’s have a big metal intake with TURBO written on it!

View attachment 29369 View attachment 29370
Thanks for the recommendation, Leeds is pretty close to here really.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that about looking under the bonnet, the 94/95 cars I've been looking at have the plastic cover. Is the Zytek system really that prone to failure or would I have to be very unlucky for it to go?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Zytek is not so prone to failure in my opinion. But, as all eletronic cars, rules are the same .
Premium and powerfull battery in top condition .
No booster except modern ones with lithium battery and if no other choice.
No start with cables except obligation

Best is to charge the battery or get a new one.
As soon as a battery shows weakness, replace and get a permanent charger to keep it always full

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, Leeds is pretty close to here really.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that about looking under the bonnet, the 94/95 cars I've been looking at have the plastic cover. Is the Zytek system really that prone to failure or would I have to be very unlucky for it to go?
They aren’t that prone to failure, they are just more difficult to fix vs the old school Bosch. If the cars look good, go for it and enjoy the extra power!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Just to add that Zytek is very perfomant and the car is really reactive with the combination : Zytek , Intercooler, gearbox 4L80 E . But the intercooler add much more complexity when you need to access under to maintain or fix.
No engine is perfect !

·
Registered
446 Posts
I tip toed into the world of these and bought a 93 model as I wanted floor gear shift and 4 speed box but didn't want airbag wheel.
Ended up spending more on it than purchase price such as rear suspension cups,hydraulics,rack,ball joints,starter,alarm ECU,seat ECU's window motors,body,HT leads and probably more, That's what you may have to expect if previous owners have not put the money in. It now is pretty well spot on and at a very good place. I reckon I rescued it.
In reality it's not worth what I put into it as people are scared of them.
Driving the car is great experience. If interested I might sell it only because I don't drive my Continental R enough,I'm not fused and am not planning to advertise.PM me if you want to persuade me!.The Turbo R is a real feel good car and such a rare sight that many people think it's a current model!, I have a large enclosed car port which is probably a good compromise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love these SZ cars and am on my second (a ‘99 Rolls Silver Spur). As some of the other have alluded to, they are costly to maintain. I paid way too much for my ‘99–I’m frankly embarrassed by how much—simply because I have a complete weakness for British Racing Green and have never seen another. Bought it on line from someone I thought I could trust. Clean carfax and owner history. It was represented to be in excellent “show” condition. After I got it, I found out what condition it was actually in. It’s in the shop now—bill is going to be around $9-$10K total. Had to replace the tires. They were new five years ago and had no miles but flat spotted. The car had not had its maintenance chores kept up with. Change the oil, trans fluid, coolant, spark plugs—also needed a bunch of light bulbs. Washer pump didn’t work. Rear power window regulator had to be sent off for a rebuild. Rear axle bearings were bad. Had to buy an expensive specialized tool to remove them or replace half shafts at a huge cost. When we took it apart we found out all the brake discs were too thin and had to be replaced. Lug nuts were buggered up by the last person who worked on it. Then a caliper was discovered to be leaking. Had a couple hydraulic lines we had to replace. Difficult and needed OEM part. Needed a radiator hose. Luggage compartment springs are weak. The lid won’t stay up. Have to deal with that yet. Has a leaky power steering rack. Was replaced by prior owner three years ago and from what I know, that’s about how long they last. Also has a leaky valve cover gasket but too costly to replace so I am instead hoping a new flame trap will make it leak less. When I get all this done I still have a wonky HVAC control and stereo speakers that need replacing, as well as a couple issues on the body, one of which was caused by a prior repair not showing up on Carfax.

IF you want a reliable car you can drive every day with limited repair and maintenance expenses, go with something else. I love these cars and fortunately have other vehicles to drive. But that said, they also HAVE to be driven or you will develop a whole host of other problems.
I am in a similar situation with my Silver Spur lll. While the car was basically ok when I bought it, I wanted to correct a few things. Once they put it on the lift, a bunch of suspension issues appeared. I’ll probably in for minimum of $11,000.

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, British Racing Green
65 Posts
Just to add that Zytek is very perfomant and the car is really reactive with the combination : Zytek , Intercooler, gearbox 4L80 E . But the intercooler add much more complexity when you need to access under to maintain or fix.
No engine is perfect !
I would say as a former ‘88 Spur owner and now a ‘99 Spur owner, the latter is a lot quicker and more responsive while still being every bit as smooth and dignified as my ‘88 was!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would say as a former ‘88 Spur owner and now a ‘99 Spur owner, the latter is a lot quicker and more responsive while still being every bit as smooth and dignified as my ‘88 was!
I suspect that it's not all because of the fuel injection. The Porsche 930 used CIS injection and was widow maker fast. The Ferrari Testorossa also used CIS. To Adamski's post, I suspect that one of the best things that happened to improve performance was the adoption of the GM4L80E over the TH400.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I suspect that it's not all because of the fuel injection. The Porsche 930 used CIS injection and was widow maker fast. The Ferrari Testorossa also used CIS. To Adamski's post, I suspect that one of the best things that happened to improve performance was the adoption of the GM4L80E over the TH400.
No doubt the injection is the smallest part of the performance gain. Turbocharger plus the 4 spd as you said were big improvements over the ‘88.

Each iteration of these cars has its pros and cons!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing OK.

I've decided now that I'm in my early 40s that I want to own one of these beautiful Crewe cars. I'm really drawn to the SZ cars in particular as they're the last of a line, and I prefer the "less fussy" more sporty appeal of the Bentley ones over the Rolls-Royces. The fact that they are hand built is really important to me and makes them much more special than the later cars.

I've been doing a bit of research and wanted to hear some other opinions and hopefully get answers to some of the questions I have.

Firstly, is it still possible to get a decent Turbo R for around £15000 or have the prices risen beyond that? And also is even worth the extra money for a Turbo R over a Brooklands (or even a Mulsanne)? Looking at what's on Auto Trader and Car and Classic at the moment the Brooklands seem a few thousand pounds cheaper. I've never really been a boy racer type so I'm not convinced I need the turbo at all, and it seems that makes the car easier to look after, though I do wonder if the Turbo R would end up being more desirable in future when I eventually end up selling it (though I hope that won't be for at least 10-15 years).

I'm not really rich, though I understand these cars do need a decent amount of money spending on them and am willing and able to put £5-6 thousand a year aside to keep whatever I end up with in the condition it deserves to be in, I don't think I'm going in to anything with my eyes closed or anything like that.

I've seen some talk about problems with the handbrakes on these cars. I live in a city famed for it's hills so that concerns me somewhat. It's likely it'll end up parked on a 12.5% slope, is that too steep to safely leave in park without the handbrake on? I've never had an automatic (though have driven them in the past) so I don't know how robust park is on its own.

I've also seen quite a lot of chatter around the Zytek EMS, which is in the later cars. A lot of the cars I can see in my budget here in the UK at the moment are 1995 or 1996 cars so presumably have this system, which is very difficult to replace. Are failures with these really that common and should I avoid these cars as much as I can? That would be a pity as honestly I do prefer the look of these later cars, but I'd rather have a slightly less good looking car that worked compared to one that didn't!

I'm going to look in to having a car port and drive fitted to the side of my house for it to keep it out of the elements a bit. The subject of covers seems like it can be controversial. I've seen ones that claim to wick away any moisture and can even be put on to wet cars, is that just wishful thinking? I've also seen people advocating for regular washing instead, how regular is regular? What do I need to do to keep whatever I get as rust-free as practically possible without a full garage?

Usage wise it won't be a daily driver but I'm thinking of insuring it for 3000 miles a year. That would be three or four 400 mile round trips, which leaves just under 40 miles a week for the rest of the time which will almost be every other weekend. Is that enough to keep in good running order? This will be my only car, but I get by mostly fine without one at the moment so it's not like a normal "only car".

As we're in lockdown at the moment it's going to be a while before I can start really looking but it would be great to hear what people have to say.

Thank you all in advance for your advice.
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing OK.

I've decided now that I'm in my early 40s that I want to own one of these beautiful Crewe cars. I'm really drawn to the SZ cars in particular as they're the last of a line, and I prefer the "less fussy" more sporty appeal of the Bentley ones over the Rolls-Royces. The fact that they are hand built is really important to me and makes them much more special than the later cars.

I've been doing a bit of research and wanted to hear some other opinions and hopefully get answers to some of the questions I have.

Firstly, is it still possible to get a decent Turbo R for around £15000 or have the prices risen beyond that? And also is even worth the extra money for a Turbo R over a Brooklands (or even a Mulsanne)? Looking at what's on Auto Trader and Car and Classic at the moment the Brooklands seem a few thousand pounds cheaper. I've never really been a boy racer type so I'm not convinced I need the turbo at all, and it seems that makes the car easier to look after, though I do wonder if the Turbo R would end up being more desirable in future when I eventually end up selling it (though I hope that won't be for at least 10-15 years).

I'm not really rich, though I understand these cars do need a decent amount of money spending on them and am willing and able to put £5-6 thousand a year aside to keep whatever I end up with in the condition it deserves to be in, I don't think I'm going in to anything with my eyes closed or anything like that.

I've seen some talk about problems with the handbrakes on these cars. I live in a city famed for it's hills so that concerns me somewhat. It's likely it'll end up parked on a 12.5% slope, is that too steep to safely leave in park without the handbrake on? I've never had an automatic (though have driven them in the past) so I don't know how robust park is on its own.

I've also seen quite a lot of chatter around the Zytek EMS, which is in the later cars. A lot of the cars I can see in my budget here in the UK at the moment are 1995 or 1996 cars so presumably have this system, which is very difficult to replace. Are failures with these really that common and should I avoid these cars as much as I can? That would be a pity as honestly I do prefer the look of these later cars, but I'd rather have a slightly less good looking car that worked compared to one that didn't!

I'm going to look in to having a car port and drive fitted to the side of my house for it to keep it out of the elements a bit. The subject of covers seems like it can be controversial. I've seen ones that claim to wick away any moisture and can even be put on to wet cars, is that just wishful thinking? I've also seen people advocating for regular washing instead, how regular is regular? What do I need to do to keep whatever I get as rust-free as practically possible without a full garage?

Usage wise it won't be a daily driver but I'm thinking of insuring it for 3000 miles a year. That would be three or four 400 mile round trips, which leaves just under 40 miles a week for the rest of the time which will almost be every other weekend. Is that enough to keep in good running order? This will be my only car, but I get by mostly fine without one at the moment so it's not like a normal "only car".

As we're in lockdown at the moment it's going to be a while before I can start really looking but it would be great to hear what people have to say.

Thank you all in advance for your advice.
Hopeful 2021.
Just a couple of thoughts. Turbos are cool but an unnecessary complication. Bentleys don't look an y more impressive going fast. In fact you'll want to slow down so people can enjoy looking at your car.
No.matter how much you research for the perfect car you will be disappointed if you set your expectations that high. All Rolls Royce and Bentley cars of this age will have some type of failing even if perfect when you buy it. It is better to find the best you can knowing you will have something to work on soon in any case. These machines are complex by design and something will fail soon no matter what. Make sure the engine is sound. That past repairs have done little to no harm and that most electricals work. Then go from there.
The common issues that recure due to age are
Hydrolic pumps, brakes and shocks, window lifts, old plastic radiators, door locks, and inadequate air conditioning, just to name a few. Owning an older Rolls or Bentley is best considered an opportunity to learn about the car itself. You will visit most of these issues and many more if you own one long enough.
One more thing. The SY derivatives Silver Shadow etc. Are much simpler in some ways. For example they are carburated not jetronic fuel injection. They sometimes have fewer epa complications. In addition they are well received and respected by the general public as an icon of the Rolls Royce and Bentley brand. Lastly. Don't expect any of these cars to go up in value any time soon. I think it is still a decade or two too early for these cars to go up substantially in value. I have had four over time and enjoyed each one. They are fun but more enjoyable if you expect a challenge. Best regards. Scott.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I am far to be an expert, just to add that ZYTEK EMS 3, used from 96, is before all an Engine Management System.
Personnally I have the feeling it acts also on the transmission reactivity / response.

As written by an expert : " Zytek EMS3 engine management system provides high density 32x32 site bit-maps for fuelling and ignition, enabling more accurate engine mapping, so providing greater efficiency, power and almost instant throttle response. "

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hopeful 2021.
Just a couple of thoughts. Turbos are cool but an unnecessary complication. Bentleys don't look an y more impressive going fast. In fact you'll want to slow down so people can enjoy looking at your car.
No.matter how much you research for the perfect car you will be disappointed if you set your expectations that high. All Rolls Royce and Bentley cars of this age will have some type of failing even if perfect when you buy it. It is better to find the best you can knowing you will have something to work on soon in any case. These machines are complex by design and something will fail soon no matter what. Make sure the engine is sound. That past repairs have done little to no harm and that most electricals work. Then go from there.
Hydrolic pumps, brakes and shocks, window lifts, old plastic radiators, door locks, and inadequate air conditioning, just to name a few. Owning an older Rolls or Bentley is best considered an opportunity to learn about the car itself. You will visit most of these issues and many more if you own one long enough.
One more thing. The SY derivatives Silver Shadow etc. Are much simpler in some ways. For example they are carburated not jetronic fuel injection. They sometimes have fewer epa complications. In addition they are well received and respected by the general public as an icon of the Rolls Royce and Bentley brand. Lastly. Don't expect any of these cars to go up in value any time soon. I think it is still a decade or two too early for these cars to go up substantially in value. I have had four over time and enjoyed each one. They are fun but more enjoyable if you expect a challenge. Best regards. Scott.
Well said!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Good illustration why a pre -purchase by a knowledgeable tech in the RR community is paramount before buying a car. Buying without an inspection has big penalties that could be avoided.
This scenario comes up regularly on this forum.
What makes it worse is bringing the car to a shop that does not know what they are working on setting you back further.

·
Registered
7 Posts
would suggest searching out a Mulsanne S non turbo they are not dated looking and not as much to maintain as a turbo and you can get in one fairly low price. I just saw a very nice one with full services all done for $17k USD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks again everyone, some great food for thought there.

Hopeful 2021.
I really have no need for the turbo and will most likely get a non-turbo Brooklands, but every now and then I wake up and think a Turbo would be really cool to have. At the end of the day any of these cars will be amazing (as long as I don't buy a ruined one of course).

I can see your point about the SY cars, they do look more iconic. I don't know if it's my age or something, but I want the SZ cars more. There's something about the look of them, I know it's not to everyone's taste but I like the straighter lines and love the individual round headlights. Price wise they seem a bit all over the place at the moment as well, on UK autotrader there seems to be a few around £10k but the rest are £30-40k and above.

would suggest searching out a Mulsanne S non turbo they are not dated looking and not as much to maintain as a turbo and you can get in one fairly low price. I just saw a very nice one with full services all done for $17k USD.
I've got a few Mulsanne's on my watch list, they do look pretty good. I think I'm more pulled towards the later cars though.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts