Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Buying Advice for First-time Buyer

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  silver_spirit_iv 
I've gone for a tidy, late Silver Shadow II. Good spec, not as modern as later cars, obviously. Slightly more refined than the Shad I, but with the advantage that they (in my opinion) look better than the Spirit/Spur types. The Spirit is too square for me, and bears less of a resemblance to the traditional RR's of old than the models that came before or after. Shad II spares are not that expensive if you have a few contacts and the running costs, so I hear/hope are also reasonable now.

All RR's and Bentleys are wonderful cars, and I'm not a Spirit basher. If I wanted an RR for regular long journeys and day to day commuting then for under US$30,000 (GB£15,000) I'd have no choice but to got for a late Spirit shape (or a pre active ride like Lew says). My girlfriend sums up the Spirit styling thus: "It looks like a giant Lada!"

I think a well maintained tidy low mileage SSII could be used daily for short trips and the odd medium trip without much issue.

I'll hope to prove my theory when I get the car on February 22nd. I'll report back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.