Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you swap the later safety bumpers with those of a chrome-bumper car? Anyone have any experience in this regard?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
That depends on whether you care about the resulting look, among other things. Anything is possible, but lots of possible stuff isn't wise even if you can do it.

The later cars with the safety bumpers had a somewhat different body shape toward the level of the bumpers which can be easily seen if you're looking for it. It's not something I'd try, as the result is likely to be very ungainly from an aesthetic standpoint.

·
Super Moderator
708 Posts
The front bumper valances are mounted a couple inches higher on the federalized cars, they sit above the bumper whereas on the chrome bumper cars the valances are below the bumper top surface. Moving these would involve cutting them off and welding them back on lower and then repairing and repainting of the old mounting position. The grille shell sides on the federal cars are deeper, the chrome cars are about 1¼ inches wide whereas the federal cars are 2 inches. The grille vane height is about 15 inches on the federal cars and 18 on the chrome, so if chrome bumpers were to be made to fit a federal car you would have to use the taller grille too otherwise you would have a 3 inch space between the top blade and the bottom of the grille vanes. On the rear, the valance is mounted an inch lower on the chrome cars, on the federal they are higher and almost level with the bottom of the boot lid. The rear valance would then also require cutting off and welding on an inch lower. Also one would have to fabricate brackets to adapt the chrome brackets to the federal body. A federal car could be converted to chrome bumpers, but it would be a fair amount of work involving welding, bodywork and painting along with the parts installing. Jim.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, at the moment, I have a '67 and a '76 sitting under my carport and acquiring the parts is not a problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was going to suggest getting in touch with Rodd Sala who is a member here and the owner of park ward referenced above, he has experience with this mod.

Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I'd done a lot of searching on this topic before I completed the swap. This is my 1979 Series 2 Shadow with series 1 bumpers. I've included a before pic too.

The bumpers are actually polished stainless steel not chrome. They were purchased from Vietnam from Bumpers Auto Mobile.

The front bumper had to be trimmed slightly (about 1cm thickness) around the front grill to make it fit. The bumpers themselves required a bit of fiddling to make perfect. They are hand made reproductions, so kind of expected.

Work was done in Australia by Double Jack's Garage on the Sunshine Coast. It took approximately 42 hrs of work!

I hope this helps anyone else who is trying the swap.
20210218_122013.jpg
20210218_124003.jpg
20210216_113732.jpg
20210216_113547.jpg
20210216_111322.jpg
20210216_113509.jpg

·
Registered
428 Posts
What's the rear look like ?
There's a lot more on that car then just missing bumpers, it's had some serious mods done.
It's been lowered, it really gives the car a sleek and more of Italian like design.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, nice work, I have only been looking at Shadow 1 chrome bumper cars as I hate the later bumpers but looking at this if the right condition SS11 came up then I would certainly consider buying now I have seen what can be done.
Nick
It is spectacular !
Really tastefully bought up to date

1 - 13 of 13 Posts