Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

OK it is not really a bodge but a simple and quite important improvement to the look of the veneer.

It is common to see around the dials milky opaque areas. This is where the laquer has come away from the wood and moisture got behind.

If you leave it then it will just slowly get worse but it can really spoil the look of the veneer wood yet relaquering the whole wood is quite an expense and a lot of stripping out. Also eventually likely the laquer will just come away in a big piece and chip off and then just too late.

Catching the problem areas early is well worth it.

In the pictures you will see my original centre wood. I did have most of my veneer redone a couple of years ago but there was nothing wrong with the main facia apart from a couple of small areas around the dial so I just touched in around using this method.

As I was removing my 8 track to fit a cassette player it needed a different aperture so I obtained a spare centre wood to do this and had it then competely reveneered and laquered the same time as the rest of the relaquering was done.

However thought it may be useful to show what can be done at little cost.

First you need some polyurethane type clear laquer. It needs a modest tint so I used petroleum based coloron medium oakwood dye. Important it is just a tint and must not be mixed too dark. The mix has then to be thinned down. Quite thin virtually so it would drip off the brush end. I use a small pencil brush to apply

This is NOT a surface cover up. It works by capilliary action where the thinned mix is drawn into the gap where the laquer has gone milky. A white spirit lightly damp lint free cloth then wiped gently over with a little pressure helps the liquid flow and quite deep areas can be seen to just disappear. Keep adding a little more to the aperture until the milky spot disappears. With the soaked cloth keep wiping and from the laquered surface so nothing is allowed to dry. White spirit wipe will not do any damage to a laquered surface so no worries just easy to clean off and not allow to dry on the outer surface.

Picture 4 shows how the solution is drawn in. Several applications can be done immediately and is indeed better to totally fill up the minute gap between the wood veneer and laquer.

The added benefit of doing this is the original laquer is virtually being also rebonded back to the veneer less likely to get worse or chip a piece off.

Pictures speak for themselves of the before and after and took about half and hour and easily could have been done without removing the main piece of wood frm the car.

The moral is to catch any problem you see as early as possible and the visual improvements are instant to the overall look.

Hope this helps someone.

All the best

Steve

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts