Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Turbo RL out for a ride to the car show this morning and figured out the brake lights are not functioning. All 3, including the high center light. Fuse is good. Found where the relay is in the trunk, but cannot see which one is for the brake lights. There is a Bosch relay on a red base, my guess is this one, and the other is a green one above it. The relays are mounted to a bracket that doesn’t want to come out easily, so I didn’t want to remove it without being sure these we’re the correct ones to check. Anyone have knowledge of which is correct, and should a replacement be available at a conventional parts store? IF this is the fix.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Make sure that it isn't a simple ground/earth issue.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Go to the FS or Introcar site and work backwards. They usually show bulb pics and what the application is.
Your owner's manual usually has a bulb section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wraithman, but do you think all of the bulbs would have burnt out at the same time?

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Check Brake Switch light, under the car, I think in the rat trap, with pedal mechanism, probably to be replaced.

Could be this part, check with VIN

This part can also explain a bad or arratic cruise control, for those who might read this

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks Jean!
Is the switch actually underneath the car, or in the footwell?
My brake lights all work, I don't have the 3rd high-mounted one.

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Within the rat trap. Workshop manual has the answers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What's the rat trap?
The workshop may indeed have the answer, but I find it very difficult to navigate through...

Es

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Nuge...seriously. We can suggest you find the answers you need within various manuals and links to view them online.
Ownership of these cars is a learning curve.
Go to the Bentley Heritage site to view the workshop manual.
On the same site you can find all the parts for your car with exploded diagrams by plugging in your VIN, by section. It's a wonderful resource and very easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nuge...seriously. We can suggest you find the answers you need within various manuals and links to view them online.
Ownership of these cars is a learning curve.
Go to the Bentley Heritage site to view the workshop manual.
On the same site you can find all the parts for your car with exploded diagrams by plugging in your VIN, by section. It's a wonderful resource and very easy.
Wraithman,
I realise that these cars are complicated to maintain, which is one of the reasons why people like me frequent forums like this one.
I am well aware of the Heritage site, and frequent it often, and also own the manual.
However, after Jean posted to help me with my cruise issue, I asked a simple question with (presumably) a simple answer.
If you know this answer, why not post it instead of "RTFM"?
Whilst I haven't looked yet, I also highly doubt that the workshop manual has a reference to a "rat trap"....

Es

·
Registered
1989 Bentley Turbo R
35 Posts
Es, under the car roughly in line with the auto box (offset to the right or left depending if RHD or LHD) you will see an aluminium cover approx. 70cm long and 20cm wide. Its secured with approx. 20 small screws. Remove this, dust away the cobwebs and the famous rat trap will be revealed in all its glory......

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Nuge,

One of the things you also need to realize is that there are commonly used terms in the RR/Bentley world, and "the rat trap" is one of them.

Yes, the switch is beneath the floor of the car and it is in the part of the car that is technically known as the brake actuation linkage assembly, but far more commonly referred to as "the rat trap." Once you look at the documentation or take the rat trap cover off (which you must do to access the switch) you will see how this charming term came into existence. I have little doubt that, at least on an occasion or two, it may have been literal.

Reactions: The_Nuge

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks guys - that was helpful!
I am going replace the spheres sometime in the next few weeks, which will be an excellent opportunity to have a look in the rat trap.
I'll keep you posted!

Es

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
And a quick swing back to the OP's dilemma. I do not think it likely, at all, that all the brake lights would fail at the same time, but that's very easy to check (and you should) just by taking them out and looking at the filaments.

If they have failed all at once, then something's definitely "off" that would have had to create a power surge to do it. I don't expect you'll find that.

I also doubt this is relay related. I still suspect that wherever the ground is for this series of lights has become wonky, though it could be that the switch has gone bad, too. But that's more complicated to check, so I go for the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There is a relay in the boot that warns of lamp failure. Usually tan in color and labeled UD18982. Check the integrity of
this relay.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yes as explained above, Rat Trap is under the car, left side, close to driver door.
Take the aluminum plate out and you will discover the complete brake system with upper and lower distributors, G valve....Do not be surprised to find green hydraulic fluid, its the factory lubrifications for the distributors.

Check indeed brake switch, it is known to be faulty of course for brake lights but also cruise control, and its one of the most simple reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SOLVED! There are two relays in the trunk on the passenger side, the upper (green) relay was bad. They also checked the switches under the car (sounds like the infamous rat trap) and they were good. Appreciate all the responses.
Daryl

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi guys,

Whilst doing the spheres and bleeding the system, I also had a look at the brake/cruise switch in the rat trap.
The brake side works fine, and the cruise side also switches, but I'm uncertain if it switcheswhat it needs to. There are 3 wires going to the cruise side - what should I be measuring?

Cheers

Es

1 - 19 of 19 Posts