Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently front brake callipers did not fully release after moderate breaking resulting in overheating discs etc. I stopped the car for 15mins to allow cooling and then engaged reverse which released the callipers. Had to repest the process once more before arriving home.

On startup the brake light1 illuminates and goes out but brakelight 2 does not illuminate.

What id the problem and how is it cured?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I'd almost be willing to bet that you have old brake hoses and the one that allows fluid return has begun to collapse inside. The behavior you describe is not uncommon and has been repeatedly reported when that's the case. This is one reason that the next time I have to do a full system hose replacement I intend to do all with PTFE (Teflon) core hoses. The PTFE is chemically inert and will not react at all with the brake fluid, which the rubber in conventional brake hoses does, though over the course of decades, usually.

You need to take a look at the thread Silver Shadow Brake Issues: Your Help Would Be Appreciated!, and do the brake pedal test as well. If your light for system 2 does not illuminate then you have one of two problems: the bulb is burned out [which you should be able to check with the test button in the one-series SY cars or by watching the warning panel when you first try to start the car with the two-series cars] or the pressure switch has become "crudded up" over the years and is stuck open.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts