Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knows the BOSCH part number for the electric fuel pump on the 89 Bentley Turbo R (my car is in the late 20000 series, but is not active ride). I believe that the pump on all the 20000 series are the same regardless of the model.

My pump is getting rather noisy and I'd like to change it. I know I could get under the car and try and see it, but if somebody knows, that would save me a struggle.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I maybe (hope to be) answering my own question here.

I believe the pump is :-
Fuel Pump, Bosch # 0 580 254 967
911, 1980-83
911 Turbo, 1980-94, Front Pump
924 & Turbo, 1981-82

I believe this also fits the Mk1 Golf with CIS fuel injection (K Jetronic). Please feel free to contradict me here if you know better.

Also, does anyone know what the spec. is for this pump. More precisely, what are the inlet pipe size and the outlet fitting diameter/thread? Also what is the flow rate?

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The fuel pumps in the SZ series cars tend to get very noisey. RR has a TSB on a fix for it, but it is expensive and time consuming. Some people have replaced the pump with some success. Be sure to replace the fuel accumulator when you replace the pump.

Also, just for reference, it's important that the copper washers on the front of the pump be replaced in the proper place when fitting a new pump. There's a thicker washer that must be in the right position. Otherwise, the pump output will bottom out in the check valve/dampner assembly and not allow any fuel to pass.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well
I got my new pump. I believe I got the one I needed, however when I took the pump off, I found it was a BOSCH 0 580 254 938.

Anyway as you can see from the picture, it was dimensionally the same. Only the brass adaptor piece was different and it was only a moments work to swap the old one from the pump I had removed to the new pump.

I was careful to note the thicker washer that goes between the brass adaptor and the pump.

I did not have a new accumulator but I can change that later. I was just concerned that my pump was going to fail (due to the racket it made [it was the noisiest part of the car]).

Anyway, now I have done this job, I hope to have good service from this new pump. As to its overall flow rates, I don't know. All the BOSCH pumps I could find info on seem to give the same output pressure (around 72 psi). I would suggest that any number of pumps will suffice. There are a number available (EBAY etc) that provide over 140 litres/Hour flow, which sounds enough for most applications.
A few useful details that may help others when selecting a pump are:-

Inlet 12mm diameter. Outlet internal thread M12 x 1.5. Pump Length ~180mm, pump diameter 60mm.

Hope this helps somebody select a serviceable item. Its just my observation.
Anyway, the pump runs nice and quietly now, so I'll see how it goes.

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The pump you got is usually fitted to a Porche, but I think the difference is in the fittings, which you already found. It may fit some Lotus also.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Lew

You are correct. A number of Porsche models. It is sometimes listed as the 'front' pump for the Porsche fitting. Its also used in the Mk1 VW Golf if fitted with the K Jetronic.

The pump I got was new from GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com) here in the UK. I include the info just for information, not because I'm recommending them, just helping owners make an informed choice.

The pump cost £56.99 inc tax and it is a German made replacement pump (i.e. not genuine BOSCH). The GSF part number is 18369. It says on the box that it is equivalent to '171-906-091A', which I guess is the Porsche part number. As I said, all I had to do was swap the brass adaptor for the banjo fitting on the outlet.

I could have got a genuine BOSCH pump from Eurocarparts for the Porsche. That would have cost ~£123.00, but I would have had to travel further to pick it up (and the weather was lousy). For now, I can't fault the visual quality or the operation (at present) so I'll keep you informed of any developments.

Anyway, I've just been out for a spin and it goes just the same as it always did, but quieter!

Cheers... Rob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts