Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried playing around with the wastegate on the Turbo - R cars.

I know that on some cars (Toyota supra for example), simply shimming the wastegate with about three washers raises pressure about 4 PSI - and makes a lovely difference - with no adverse problems.

The car pulls quite well but it always feels as though the turbo is holding back a great deal more than it could. I am sure a blown V8 ought to be able to get a tiny bit more of a wiggle on.

Anyone either managed to shim / bleed the system to get a little extra bost - and if so, what is generally regarded as a "fairly safe" increase to aim for. I have no problem in feeding her 100 PN fuel - a mixture of Tesco's 99 (actually 98.5) and toluene, so I am not too concerned about knock.

Be great to hear from someone who has done this. If it makes a difference, mine is the oldest of the turbo R's - carb job - and this is partly what makes me think there might be some room to play - as essentially the same block ended up SUBSTATIALLY more power on the later models, once better tyres became available.

I am not worried about the speed cut-off - I am not really after the top end, more interested in the acceleration performance.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
before you try messing with the wastegate itself I would get a boost gauge and look into some sort of boost controller.

I wouldnt go too far without richening it up more too, you are carburated so I doubt it would be all that dificult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Increase the output of your vehicle's stock turbo, or when it's not enough, then replace the stock turbo with a larger or better turbo. I had adjusted my boost pressure by jacking up the front of the car and supporting it by axle stands. It's important not to hold the rod near the wastegate actuator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts