Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

So pulling away from the intersection (not at full and straight ahead is the expressway. I gently take-off increasing revs/boost as the car climbs up in RPM all the way to redline - no problem, excellent power, pulling very hard, like a big jet during take-off.

Scenario,

On the expressway at 70 mph, I go to pass, kick down works great, RPMs jump up, then all of a sudden it’s like I’ve hit a rev limiter at around 3,000 + RPM (that feeling like the car is bouncing off the rev limiter). My question is, could the car be protecting itself from over-boost or do I have another problem?

A few weeks ago, I had a “check engine light” and it was a “Cylinder 2” misfire. So my trust mechanic takes off the coils and hooks a tool up to the Ignition wire and it was “arcing” at first then it stop as the wire was slightly bent. Joila, rough idle and check engine light are off, no more problems.

It’s been suggested that I replace the ignition wires (which I will be doing). This scenario only happens during kick down and not under steady, strong acceleration to redline (no hesitation at all).

Any thoughts?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Do a very dark room test with motor running to see any blue arcing around the wires. Important.....let your eyes acclimate to the darkness and you may see things. Easy check, it could be wires, at this age they should be replaced.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do a very dark room test with motor running to see any blue arcing around the wires. Important.....let your eyes acclimate to the darkness and you may see things. Easy check, it could be wires, at this age they should be replaced.
Very good point and I’ve added it to the list.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts