Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bentley Turbo R with BIG Brake’s
Well as you know I have a RT with Big Brakes and the cost of the replacement pads are £390.00
So I went on the hunt for replacements I found that VW LT van pads where the same pad so I got a set of EBC pads had the Discs Faced
The pads where to fat the material on them had to be sanded of to fit don’t forget the shims and they must go in the correct way this is imperative you get Right other wise you will end up with brake squeal
Well I have done 3000 mil with them in and haven’t had a problem
I removed the pads yesterday to have a look and there ok so I decided to put this on hear for others
I haven’t refitted the sensors as I don’t need them as my cars are well checked but the next set I fit I will fit sensors
All so there is less brake dust on the wheel’s compared with originals

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi,
For my Bentley Turbo R with BIG Brake’s i found that Mercedès W126 front pads were the same, very less expensive. :D

Recently i've bought brake discs for futur exchange --> HERE
They are like new for a very light price. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
For bendix 20.00 € so be it about 17.50£ for 4 pads.

35 £ for the 8 pads :wink:

·
Registered
218 Posts
big brakes

All though the pads fit i would have thought that they would have the same braking efficiency . don't know of many LT vans that are capable of 140 mph +. will the pads cope with repeated hard braking. Personally think my safety is worth more than saving few pounds

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was waiting for this
If you read what I have put EBC are renowned for there racing pedigree and I have used these pads for 6 months
In that time she has covered 3000 mil with very fast driving and hard braking
South of France / Holland and in and out of London the wife has used it for work (stuck in traffic) I have had some fun with a Maserati
Befor I posted this I removed the pads to have a look just to see if there was any excessive damage and there wasn’t infect there in very good condition
I am in know way telling you to use these pads you should stick with Bentley pads
As for VW LT’s there used for builders car transporters the AA use to use them with speck bars for recovering cars and LT’s only use one calliper not two
But as I have said don’t use them
I have used ebc in a lot of performance cars with out and problems

·
Registered
244 Posts
Personally when i've seen my bentley's pads condition, i 've been afraid, i've never seen such a mess !!! :shock:

The car had never slept outside, the pads are original ones with 40 000 miles and 10 years.
The back-end pads were in the same condition. :evil:

I was coming back home from England with that for 1 000 miles !!!

The Mercedès pads on the picture are those of my 500 SEC, they are 15 years old and 60 000 miles.

Personally i feel me in a better secure with this pads. :lol:

Pay for less expensive and more secure pads is well appropriate for me. :D

Cheers !

·
Registered
244 Posts
bentleyman22 said:
I was waiting for this
So I do ! :D :D

May I bring to mind, that in France the allowed max speed is 90 km/h on roads and 130 on highway.

I remenber that in England it's less, no ? :lol:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Unless i've not understood what you explain Bentleymann, my english is so bad, I am perfectly in agreement with you.

Neither Bentley nor Mercedès confect their brake pads.

EBC is a leader in the brakes market, and it would not be astonishing that they built Bentley Brake pads as TRW or Bendix for Mercedès.

:wink:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Leloarer,

Thanks for posting this information.

I am presuming that the rear brake pads are not the same as those in front based upon what's been said up until now.

Did you happen to discover functional substitutes for the rear brake pads as well?

Brian, who doesn't own a Turbo R but keeps track of this sort of information

·
Registered
244 Posts
Guyslp
Yes, you are right for the rear pads, but i don't remember what i had found exactely, except it was Bendix ones.
I need to find again the invoice and I tell you.

For park pads, I've not found a other way.

In the same way many hydraulic parts are Citroën parts less expensive than Bentley ones and Boch likewise :wink:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Leloarer,

Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that many parts are Bosch and that certain (stress on certain) Citro�n hydraulic parts can be used as well. In fact, I know of several recent purchasers of Crewe Original gas spring spheres that received items with the Citro�n chevrons clearly marked upon them.

I've been putting together an extensive Rolls-Royce & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation over the last few years. There are many substitute parts noted in there along with pointers to online sources listing substitute parts. I immediately integrated your information regarding Mercedes W126 brake pads.

I believe there are substitute parking brake pads. You should definitely check out the RROC-AustraliaTee-One Topics Archive, paying particular attention to the Index, and have a look on the RROC-Australia Discussion Forums as well. Their forums are open for anyone to join, and they also allow posting by guests after review by the site moderator.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks Brian,

I'm sorry, I haven't make the relation between you and this document that i known. :oops:

English language is too difficult for me to be on a other english forum, especially for technical words. :D

This one is amply sufficient. :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
big brakes

As design of rear clipers has been same from early shadow 1 i believe the rear calipers were also usedon ajaguar of that era if that helps anyone identify pads to fit. Something to make you think about : If parking brakes are used for parking why do the pads wear? I'll leave that for you all to ponder

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi
Leloarer hope you had a good Bonne annee
Do you have the part No for your replacement front pads (the Merc ones)
All so what is the best way to bleed the brakes ???/

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Michael,

Thanks, the best for you during 2012 & next :D

For the front pads Mercedès the ref is A001420 99 20

But other ones are valid
let you see http://www.oscaro.com/jeu-de-4-plaquettes-de-frein-avant-bendix-571278b-715065-10017-p

For bleeding brakes, i don't know if it's the best way :D ,
but i put a mass on the pedal brake, motor running gearbox level on P then bleed each bleed valve, beginning by the brake the farest of the master cylinder.

After I put new LHM for reestablish the good level.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you
i do the same thinking of putting some new pads and new fluid and see what happens
if you want reasonably priced & parking and a clean hotel in you fine City try this
IBIS PARIS PORTE DE CLICHY CENTRE HOTEL
the Garage has steel outer doors electronic and inner steel door both locked so no problem 14 Euros a day
Michael

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Guys

Small bump on this thread, mainly to see if the Merc pads used upfront have been OK as I'm in need of changing mine + to see if anyone had the part number for alternative replacement rears

I also would like to change the disks all round, assume these are dealer only? The mentioned link earlier in string with replacement alternative parts is missing/no longer valid...so if anyone could upload new link that would be ace!

Thanks in advance Jin

1 - 20 of 77 Posts