Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Bentley Eight with cloth upholstery?

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  silver_spirit_iv 
#1 ·
Greetings,
I noticed that in an article, that I posted a link to below, states that the Bentley Eight came standard with Cloth interior from 1984-86, and that leather wasn't part of the normal Eight package until 1987.

However, I have seen quite few 84-86 Eights, RHD and LHD, and I have never ever seen one with cloth interior. Do you believe this is simply a mistake in the article, or was the cost to upgrade to leather so insignificant that few were actually sold with cloth?

If anyone has a photo of the cloth seats, I'd love to see them. (if they even exist)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/used_car_reviews/article823822.ece

In 1984 Bentley launched a “cut-price” car. At more than £50,000 it still cost as much as a small house but came with cloth upholstery and steel wheels.
In 1987 leather upholstery and electric memory seats became part of the package

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_Eight

The Eight was introduced with cloth upholstery, steel wheels, and a mesh grille that was simpler than the slatted grille of the Mulsanne. Fuel injection and anti-lock brakes were added in 1986, leather upholstery and power memory seats were added in 1987

#2 ·
Cloth Interior

The cars were built with Beige or Brown Velour cloth. I remember it well, we (the Engineers) couldn't believe it at the time. They were truly abismal & did not meet the marques aspirations.. Although they did have leather piping Oooooooh.

From memory, the first 700 cars were built like this.

#4 ·
Re: Cloth Interior

jacko said:
The cars were built with Beige or Brown Velour cloth. I remember it well, we (the Engineers) couldn't believe it at the time. They were truly abismal & did not meet the marques aspirations.. Although they did have leather piping Oooooooh.

From memory, the first 700 cars were built like this.
Wow, so cool. Any chance that any US export models came out with this interior? 700 is a very large number in the Bentley world. Only 1736 were ever produced between 84 & 92, and I've seen many 1984 and 1985 models and none had the cloth seats. Maybe your numbers are wrong, maybe the order of production is wrong, but the first 700 couldn't possibly be cloth interior unless almost all existing Bentley eights from the first year have been reupholstered. The 1984 Catalog also lists them as having the seats and trim of Connolly leather. I'm not doubting your expertize, Jacko. But 700 is a bit much, unless about 50% of the Eights were made in the first year with Velour cloth, and the majority of existing 1984 models all have connolly. I believe you that these cars exist, I would LOVE for one of these cars to exist. But even with your experience, as a collector I'd gamble more that it's more like the first 70 than the first 700. Please do excuse me if I come across as rude. Your input is cherished and appreciated.

I know that the Mulsanne Turbo had an option to have Jersey Kapwood Cloth upholstery as well, but once again I have no recollection of seeing such a car. Was the Jersey Kapwood the same interior that you mentioned above?

#5 ·
Here's an old carbed early 87 Bentley Eight from the US with some sort of Velour inserts. Are these what Jacko was talking about, or are these inserts aftermarket? Seems odd to replace the inserts but leave all that deteriorated piping (unless my eyes are deceiving me and it's also velour piping).

#6 ·
If I remember correctly the Bentley Eight was created as a "more affordable" version during the eighties as recession was hitting hard and sales were low.

To boost the sales, the Bentley eight had a different front grill, no ashtrays in the front doors, no rear vanity mirrors and cloth upholstery. All this would reduce the price and allow for much needed sales at the time.

Strangely enough and on another note, the Rolls-Royce Phantom series (the old one not the one by BMW) all had leather seats for the chauffeur and at the rear for passenger it is all cloth/velour type.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.