Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Bentley 8 . Everything OK apart from noisy front suspension. On examination the top of the shock absorbers seem to be rubbing on suspension arms. This is with both wheels pointing to front. It seems as though they need turning to avoid this contact. If this is so what is the procedure ? There is some knocking noise coming from the front which reduces some time after start up. I assume I have Active Ride as hydraulics and elctric s are connected to each shock absorber. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Also how do you check rear brake pads for wear without dismantling ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jeremy.
Anything post 1990 will have active ride. This means be carefull because replacing a front shock will mean not much change from £1000 per side.

If you need to turn the shock then you will have to raise the body of the car, so the wheel is free. undo the damper ball joint and break the connection to the lower arm. You should now be able to turn the damper around to the correct position.

I am not sure that this is your problem. Are the tops of the shocks central in the top plate, if not you need to replace the top rubber mounts.

It is also very common to get wear in the ball joints. Examine the top bottom and damper ball joint. If any of them have play this can lead to a knock.

To check the rear pads you will probably have to take a rear wheel off, as it is hard to see with the wheel on. then you just have to see how much friction material is left on the pads if you have less than about 2-3 mm of material left on the pads then you should replace them.

Please let me know w bit more about were the suspension is rubbing. I will try and help further.

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mat ,

Eventually had to take the whole shock/spring assemby out , compress the spring and turn the shock. No fouling now.

However , even though no visible signs of wear to ball joints there is still a knock which seems to reduce after a mile or two. Is this the active ride settling down ?

Best regards

Jerry

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think it would be the dampers. If you have a knock then I think it is down to excessive play somewere. You need to find out were. check all rubber bushes, top of dampers, upper and lower arm bushes, Damper ball joint, steering ball joints.

Matt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mattjdduncan said:
I don't think it would be the dampers. If you have a knock then I think it is down to excessive play somewere. You need to find out were. check all rubber bushes, top of dampers, upper and lower arm bushes, Damper ball joint, steering ball joints.

Matt.
Agree with Matt on this. Especially if the previous owner had mostly stored and rarely drove. Often the case and most times people do not put their cars away proper. Must put any car up on blocks (jack stands) takes stress off all the above suspension bits. Also avoids flat spots cracking of tires. When long storage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts