Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

After my Turbo “R” is sorted out (wood, mechanicals and paint etc.) what would be a Rolls Royce model to compare to a Bentley “8” as I am not familiar with the Rolls Royces and a true “Cloud” like “ride”?

I would like a Rolls Royce in the next 5 years or so....as I’ve started looking at them and would want a well sorted example.

I am trying to understand the difference in the “8” compared to a RR and I suspect it’s a vastly stiffer suspension setup and ride quality etc?

Thank you again.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Bentley 8 is the base model, RR Spirit would be the comp model with the Spur being the long wheelbase version.

·
Registered
197 Posts
In my "8":
1. Center console is made as divided for two parts, identically like in RR (in opposition to monolithic "sporting" console in more expensive models of Bentley).
2. Upper and lower fascia is covered with synthetic,cheap, leather (seats and doors panels are still covered with genuine leather, I think (?!) ) .
3. The engine is not turbo loaded.
4. There are one exhaust pipe.
5. Wooden panels are not ornamented or incrusted with other kinds of wood than base.
6. No picnic tables ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
In my "8":
1. Center console is made as divided for two parts, identically like in RR (in opposition to monolithic "sporting" console in more expensive models of Bentley).
2. Upper and lower fascia is covered with synthetic,cheap, leather (seats and doors panels are still covered with genuine leather, I think (?!) ) .
5. Wooden panels are not ornamented or incrusted with other kinds of wood than base.
6. No picnic tables ;)
Hi!
Can you post some pictures?
On my 90/91 (built in December 90) Turbo R there is real leather everywhere. The leather headlining was optional I think, picnic tables too (don't have those unfortunately).

Es

·
Registered
197 Posts
So, In general dark leather elements looks for me like synthetic leather (except steering wheel), light elements (and steering wheel) look&feel like genuine leather. Wooden panels are in very dark brown color.
"Dark leather" unglued from panels in some places (usually at back side of panels) and looks exactly like, something like oilcloth... Is it possible, that they glued cloth to the back side of leather for any reason??

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can you post some pictures?
On my 90/91 (built in December 90) Turbo R there is real leather everywhere. The leather headlining was optional I think, picnic tables too (don't have those unfortunately).
In standard design, in model "8", seats and door panels were textile at all. Leather was an option.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In my "8":
Same as Silver Spirit/Spur.

In my "8":
6. No picnic tables ;)
They were optional on Spirit/Spurs (although most Spurs have them)

In my "8":
That is the "cheapo" part of the "8".
Memory seats were optional on the "8" (standard on Spirit/ Spurs ?? ).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine looks like this, but you can't really see the detail.

I think all of it is leather though. And the wood on the doors has inlays.

Es

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, In general dark leather elements looks for me like synthetic leather (except steering wheel), light elements (and steering wheel) look&feel like genuine leather. Wooden panels are in very dark brown color.
"Dark leather" unglued from panels in some places (usually at back side of panels) and looks exactly like, something like oilcloth... Is it possible, that they glued cloth to the back side of leather for any reason??
View attachment 29491
View attachment 29491
That is super nice...wow!

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine looks like this, but you can't really see the detail.
View attachment 29492
I think all of it is leather though. And the wood on the doors has inlays.

Es
Holy Toledo ES....that is seriously SUPER nice and gorgeous...WOW!!!! Can you PM me more pictures?

Kindly,
Stephen

Reactions: The_Nuge

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
78 Posts

here is the dash on my ‘99 Spur. It has picnic tables as well. And it’s a turbo.
CDE53EC4-672D-428A-9CEE-0D43239DF414.jpeg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: MZinArkansas

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, Mulsanne Green
78 Posts
Absolutely stunning...and it’s a “Turbo” the ultimate wolf in sheep’s clothing...that is awesome!!!

Road trip to Dallas LOL?

Kindly,

I have some minor bodywork and paint issues to attend to. I have someone (good friend) who is crazy but an artist with this stuff and he will massage it for me. He is really really good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Another look at '90 model "Eight" interior in full sunshine:

Do you notice clock and outside temperature thermometer? No? You are right. They are, simply, useless ;)

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
In standard design, in model "8", seats and door panels were textile at all. Leather was an option.
If you can find a textile covered Eight that wasn't a one-off, I'll eat my hat! This article claims that cloth was available, but I've never seen it even in photos. The one shown here is only the second, other than yours, that I've seen with the "leatherized" dash, too.

They did use "leather faced" (as in leather seating surfaces) with man-made leather for the sides, back, etc. Straight-grained solid walnut was the only wood choice I am aware of (which I personally find preferable to veneering simply for durability in the interior of a car).

It's a pain trying to find photos of the interior of a Bentley Eight (even with quotes around it) as so many of the Mulsanne and Turbo R end up mixed in. All of the Bentley analogs of the RR cars had significantly firmer suspensions, being "the sporting versions."

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Eight (EBJ 23494) has all leather (incl. sides) seats, doors and dash. The suspension is not particularly stiffer than my Corniche (DAJ 22148). The Bentley suspension was completely rebuilt (incl. all rubber parts) by Albers so it is to "nearly new" spec.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
@David Watts

Everything could be upgraded in these cars, and given the class of buyer, many things very often were.

I really never understood why Crewe created the Eight. The idea of a "beginner's Bentley" in any meaningful sense of entry level for a buyer is suspect in this class, at best. A very great many, like yours, were optioned to essentially be non-Turbo versions of the Turbo R.

Your interior is lovely. I've always had a fondness for magnolia leather, and the blue contrast piping is just great with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Brian - Thank you. I think the interior works nicely with the Deep Ocean Blue exterior. I agree that the "entry level" price point may have seemed like a good idea in a planning meeting but was less successful in the field. For example, I understand that the solid walnut straight grain dashboards ended up being more expensive to build than the burl veneer form in the more expensive cars.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts