Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to replace the oil seal on the ball and trunnion shaft. The Manual is unclear to me.

Remove the circlip and washers located on the
ball and trunnion joint shaft behind the housing and
bearing and remove the housing from the shaft

I've removed the circlip but cannot figure out how to remove the housing from the shaft.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
The housing and shaft are integral and not separate. You can always check the Bentley Heritage site and look at the parts diagrams. From an engineering point of view, you would not want this as 2 pieces due to the nature of the part. If you look inside the housing you will most likely see the center line where it was finished on a lathe after casting.Make sure your belleville washers go in the proper way.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've looked at the parts diagram. The seal is listed as number 39. It looks like the bearing housing, 41, has to be tapped off to reach the seal but I don't want to do this until I'm sure I won't damage anything. 42 is the bearing.

39 UG10061 OIL SEAL OUTPUT SHAFT FINAL DRIVE
41 UG12106 HOUSING OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING FINAL DRIVE

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've succeeded in getting to the leaking oil seal so I'm putting this up in case any future readers have a similar problem. The workshop manual says to use a drift or mandrel to remove the bearing, seal and housing. I didn't fancy hammering away at it so chose a puller. The pics are self explanatory - don't forget to remove the circlip and washer first. Now it's just a case of trying to get the thing back together again (with a new seal).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Also,remember to fill the trunnion with 150 ml of fluid before install. It's a lot easier when removed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll do that Wraithman - also a good check for leaks while the driveshaft is off the car.

Parts are on order from FS - should arrive next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts