Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Back again looking for information

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  BenzoBimmer300 
#1 ·
Alright about a year ago, I started to think about getting a Bentley or Rolls-Royce, then due to lack of information and lack of them around here (1 Bent. GT in the entire city), I kind of left it alone and got a Jaguar in the mean time. Love the Jag, but then I thought, hell, I'm going to be 30, doing good in my career, single, and if anything might as well make something in this life worth it since it would seem I'm getting to gray to be thinking about having kids since I havent had any by now, screw it and go for it. So once again, I figured giving the information hunt one lats try before settling on one as a 30th b-day present for myself.

To make things easier I guess it's best to start off with what I'm looking for.

Prefer 2000-2005 Bentley Arnage. And 1999-2002 Silver Seraph. And heavens no, by god, no Phantom or Contiental GT or FLying Spur. Hate the looks of those things and having all the latest techno and features are not priority to me. I rather have a well built car then one that look like an armored 2002 BMW 7 series or an upscale VW Phaeton (not that the Phaeton is bad looking car).

I'm looking for a smooth ride, I'll settle for firm but if it rides like an Audi A8 or firmer then that is too firm.

I would prefer the 6.75 over the BMW engines, as I'm a little burnt out of dealing with BMW engines, but will take one if the GM transmission that is hooked up to the 6.75 is a weak spot as I rather work on BMWs for years than deal with another weak transmission.

How do the ZF transmissions hold up in these cars? Many that have been coupled to V-8s had tendency to eat up the A-Drum (just replaced transmission on the Jag because of that a few months ago).

What is the difference in ride quality between the 2000-2002 Arnage (Red label era) and the 2003-2005 Arnage (R and T era) even though I might want to avoid the T as I heard the ride is very stiff.

And when buying these types of cars what are common trouble spots to look for in the arnage and silver seraph? And what are common parts that I should stock up on when I make the purchase. I heard about the battery draining issue but I'm talking about living with the car on a day to day basis.

Any information is helpful and if no information on ride quality/characteristic of these two, where are some good places to find and check these vehicles out for road testing that may be within a day (8 hours) drive from El Paso?

Yet I figure since there are some owners of these cars here hanging about, I figured they should have an idea of the ride quality. Do it ride like a truck? Ride like a 1970s Cadillac? Ride like an Audi A8? Like a Mercedes S-Class? Is every bump felt? Is it jittery liver shaking? Is it glass smooth even on unmaintained roads? Is every bump felt or barely there? Or what.

For example, Jaguar XJ8 that I own. Veyr smooth ride, slightly firm, wont feel most bumps besides the worse uneven road patterns, not as floaty as the Lincoln TC of 2001 and unmaintained pavement can cause the bumps to be felt but not harshly. Quiet, motoring with slight windnoise at speed and very stable at any speed. About on par with the 2002 MBZ S500 but not quite as firm as the 2001 BMW 740il, and way softer than the XJR/A8 which will rattle some teeth over anything that is glass smooth but handles well enough for the American sedated style of cruising. Not enough areas that would warrent a rough ride for the sake of handles since even going a mere 75mph can land a person in hot water.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.