Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Leho or anyone living above the sun belt

It has been bitterly cold here, and cold starting has been an issue..

The previous owner advised to use "starting fluid" sprayed in the air intake hose, to get her started.

seems that even on cold days that shouldn't be necessary.. is it an automatic choke problem? or do Rolls just plain don't like the cold, and I should get used to it?

I normally don't plan to drive in the winter, but I have to drive it to a state inspection, get insurance, etc

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was doing some reading on rrtechnical.info

there is a service bulletin on the starter motors for the SC II... I wonder if this might be my problem.. the starter motor turns very slow

How hard is it to find someone who can look at it and/or fix it? An Alternator shop maybe?

If it need to be replaced, has anyone ever used a nippondenso replacement starter motor, sold by BritishStarters.com?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed a Nippon/D starter in one of my Spurs. Works great! Do a search on EBay and contact the seller in NY. Best price that I"ve been able to find. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey.. It's been so long I forgot about this post.. I have a 1962 SCII

Turns out the choke linkage was a tad gum'ed up.

I was at an RROC workshop in St Louis and mentioned my choke problem to Simon Curzon of Zenith Motors (KC).. he jiggled the linkage a bit to free it up, and we sprayed Brake Cleaner on the linkage to clean the gunk off it... it's worked like a champ all winter, starts first time even in below single digit temps

·
Registered
66 Posts
HA, I didn't look at the date!

Good news indeed.

These old girls will go on for years and years as long as everything is freshly lubricated!

Everything at least once a year whether she moves or not is what I always recommend.

I wonder how much easy start the last owner got through!?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The previous owner kept a can of aerosol starter fluid in the door pocket, and used it EVERYTIME it got below 40*F.... I knew this couldn't possibly be the norm.

It took Simon about 5 minutes to diagnose,and fix the choke... cost me nothing... good times :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts