Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

On Flying Spares, I noticed that they have OE autoride dampers for about $1000 each, and remanufactured dampers for about $600 each.

Has anyone had any experience with the remanufactured dampers?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have remanufactured rear dampers and they works very well. But they were done by local Citroen/RR specialized garage in Warsaw/Poland. They did all suspension hydraulic in my car.
I believe that remanufactured front dumpers will be OK.
Removing of front dumpers is a quite complicated work, so check carefully what else you need to replace in front suspension, like springs, joints, rubbers etc. It is a good chance to do it at once.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Removing of front dampers is a quite complicated work
And incredibly dangerous if not done correctly. It's not that one cannot do this at home, but you need a spring compressor tool do do it, and know how to properly use it. See Ken Herrera's excellent article, The Most Dangerous Job

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And incredibly dangerous if not done correctly. It's not that one cannot do this at home, but you need a spring compressor tool do do it, and know how to properly use it. See Ken Herrera's excellent article, The Most Dangerous Job
Indeed. I am procuring the tool from British Tool Works, as the build quality of their stuff is absolutely incredible.
With the proper tool, this job on an RR (which I have witnessed and been involved in quite a few times) is less dangerous then some of the arrangements where people use the side mounted ones. I’ve seen those go in a foul direction numerous times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a great article! Granted if it were me, I probably would have swapped the springs too. I know mine need swapping for sure

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
What a great article!
I was cyber-friendly with the author for some years. He eventually sold his car and dropped out of the hobby, but that article alone is his legacy to RR-DIY-ers for the SY and SZ eras (as it's pretty much equally applicable) in perpetuity.

Well written and beautifully documented with photos. Hat's off to you, Ken Herrera, wherever you are!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts