Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed new tires and after dealer installed the tires, auto ride control warning comes on every minute.

they said when on jack the sensor got stock and tried cleaning it but still the beeping persists.

do I need new sensors? If so where yo get them?
If not what is wrong and how can it be fixed?
Thanks in advance for all constructive advice.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
They probably damaged something replacing tires. Did they put the same dimensions tires ?

First, clean the electrical plugs, open them and spray with contact spray then try.
Check for wires cracks

It could be either wires, either electronic front shock either ECU autoride.
So it could be nothing or something.

You may have to engage their responsability depending on the cost.

Lifting the car at the right place does not dammage the front sensors.

Start with simple things, sensors, plugs, wires. If they are not ok, replace them.
If more serious, you will need to diagnose the suspension, hoping its not front shocks

on this page, depending on your VIN, here is an example of front shock, wires...

To diagnose further, you may need a Bentley mastercheck or

I would suggest to involve right the shop who replaced tires and created this issue, if it was not present before you replace tires. Make sure they install the right tires, right pressure.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will forward to dealership to see if they admit. They told me that I need to buy new sensor (While they did the damage), but has not given me the part info yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jean7

Thank you for your well thought out detailed reply.

Curious, since you both condemn the installer, just exactly what is it that could have been done to " damage " the front struts , rear leveling suspension, etc when simply installing tires?

Like you said, there are very defined jacking points, lug bolts are lug bolts, and tires were provided by the owner.

Is your position that any shop is 100% responsible for anything that happens simply because they are addressing the owners concerns.

Vehicle comes in for an oil change and now the headlight goes out, are they to pay for the repair? Or when replacing the headlight, now the sun visor won't stay up... " but it wasn't like that when I dropped it off " ... is the repair facility responsible for the sun visor too.. why would any shop take in any vehicle out of warranty with that kind of owner mentality?

But if there legitimately is something that lifting a corner at the jacking point then replacing a tire could have damaged, I am all ears.

Looking forward to your constructive feedback.

S

2.jpg
3.jpg

·
Registered
562 Posts
The only 'sensors' are under the dash attached by belt to the steering column and inside the Auto Ride ECU which is also under the dash. There is no way they could have damaged those. There are no Auto Ride sensors anywhere near the dampers. What they may have done is damaged the wiring going to each damper, that is an easy thing to check. Water sometimes gets into the electrical plug near the front dampers and causes corrosion which will cause warning beeps if there is an intermittent contact in the wiring or plug.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Hi Safe4now,

Your first post since december 23th 2016, just curious to know if you are connected to this event .

I will not go further in details as I don't have expertise the car before and after tires replacement , not seen the potentiel damages.
I have seen many damages on those cars when lifting, after more than 30 years ownership, once on mine and several time on other cars. Those cars are extremely heavy and do not have regular lift point as Mercedes for example.
That's a main problem you seem to ignore. SO many people put jacks where they think they can.

It could be a cooincidence of course, it could be wire damages, it could be an old strut, ready to fail which did not like to be lifted. It could be also a booster which damaged the ECU because the car did not start.

Yes, if you lift the front and catch the wire under the car or the plug, you brake/cut/damage it and you get autoride warning. We are talking regarding effects potentially connected, front wheels and front suepnsion, not as you mentionned changing oil and headlights.

I am not american as you seem to be so my english is far to be sa good as yours, but I think this sentence was indeed moderated and conditional " You may have to engage their responsability depending on the cost. ".

Having no details on this case, I will stop there, indeed surpised by your remarks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jean7

Curious, since you both condemn the installer, just exactly what is it that could have been done to " damage " the front struts , rear leveling suspension, etc when simply installing tires?

Like you said, there are very defined jacking points, lug bolts are lug bolts, and tires were provided by the owner.

Is your position that any shop is 100% responsible for anything that happens simply because they are addressing the owners concerns.

Vehicle comes in for an oil change and now the headlight goes out, are they to pay for the repair? Or when replacing the headlight, now the sun visor won't stay up... " but it wasn't like that when I dropped it off " ... is the repair facility responsible for the sun visor too.. why would any shop take in any vehicle out of warranty with that kind of owner mentality?

But if there legitimately is something that lifting a corner at the jacking point then replacing a tire could have damaged, I am all ears.

S

View attachment 28436 View attachment 28437
You seem to be connected much more than any one else.
I asked the question to be sure and on where to get the sensor which I was told is damaged. Just relayed the message I was given and not trying to condemn the shop.

since you disagree what other causes can trigger the warning and how to fix it? That is the question not picking fight with anyone who replies on the forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only 'sensors' are under the dash attached by belt to the steering column and inside the Auto Ride ECU which is also under the dash. There is no way they could have damaged those. There are no Auto Ride sensors anywhere near the dampers. What they may have done is damaged the wiring going to each damper, that is an easy thing to check. Water sometimes gets into the electrical plug near the front dampers and causes corrosion which will cause warning beeps if there is an intermittent contact in the wiring or plug.
I was told that the contacts were cleaned several times but when the car was driven over rough road then warning came back so to your point it must be a wire problem and not the sensor. Correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jean7

S

View attachment 28436 View attachment 28437
Never mind my prior post. That was before figuring you out. No need to respond and don’t be offended. Will figure this out later.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Correct. A wiring issue, or failed damper solenoid. It could possibly be that the Auto Ride ECU has failed, and a coincidence.
Perhaps the shop is thinking the anti lock brake sensor has something to do with the Auto Ride, it does not.. As I said, there are no sensors that have anything to do with the Auto Ride system near the front wheels. The only thing that they could have damaged is the wiring to the front dampers, but it does not go under the car anywhere near where a hoist or jack pad would be placed.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
We are here to talk friendly, not to make a trail of an unknown professional.
Jim and others knows much, much better than me.

there is a wire from the strut, make sure it is in top condition., not dammage or crack inside
Then ther is a loom from this strut wire to the ECU, make sure it is in top condition, not cracked or dammaged
Then between both there is a plu,g, known to give your symptoms. Unplug it, clean contacts with spray, fix it as it is originanally to the struts, Make sure the wires connected to male and female plugs are solid, sometime they are dammaged in the plug.

If this does not work, I would suggest trying to diagnose and reset your ECU with the tool I put the link above.
Thise electronic cars need electronic tools at a certain level.

Are you sure nobody used an old booster recently, even few weeks ago, or started the car with another car, not respecting the factory procedure ?
Important because this is known to possibily damaged CU

In any case, when you have diagnose and if unsolved one solution would be to send ECU to Bowling Engineering

You can follow Jim advice etes wide shut, he is a real expert with a huge experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Correct. A wiring issue, or failed damper solenoid. It could possibly be that the Auto Ride ECU has failed, and a coincidence.
Perhaps the shop is thinking the anti lock brake sensor has something to do with the Auto Ride, it does not.. As I said, there are no sensors that have anything to do with the Auto Ride system near the front wheels. The only thing that they could have damaged is the wiring to the front dampers, but it does not go under the car anywhere near where a hoist or jack pad would be placed.
We are here to talk friendly, not to make a trail of an unknown professional.
Jim and others knows much, much better than me.

there is a wire from the strut, make sure it is in top condition., not dammage or crack inside
Then ther is a loom from this strut wire to the ECU, make sure it is in top condition, not cracked or dammaged
Then between both there is a plu,g, known to give your symptoms. Unplug it, clean contacts with spray, fix it as it is originanally to the struts, Make sure the wires connected to male and female plugs are solid, sometime they are dammaged in the plug.

If this does not work, I would suggest trying to diagnose and reset your ECU with the tool I put the link above.
Thise electronic cars need electronic tools at a certain level.

Are you sure nobody used an old booster recently, even few weeks ago, or started the car with another car, not respecting the factory procedure ?
Important because this is known to possibily damaged CU

In any case, when you have diagnose and if unsolved one solution would be to send ECU to Bowling Engineering

You can follow Jim advice etes wide shut, he is a real expert with a huge experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE:

For all who responded;

I let the car sit for 6 days, and then last two days drove it for short distances of 4 miles each day, what I noticed or found out strangely enough is that;

when the car is in sport mode or shifts into that mode the warning comes on but when I turned off the sport mode the beeping and warning light has not come on now within the last two days.

I will experiment with this and watch out to see if it holds on longer drives, but for now has any one ran into the same scenario before?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think I had this on my Turbo R,
I finally cleaned the plugs I told you and clean also the ECU plugs with contact spray., opened ECU and checked solders
It never came back

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had something similar on my 93 Turbo R and a new chip in the ECU fixed it. Wasn't expensive and available to buy from factory. I didn't do the work. Auto Ride kept bleeping in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts