Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All members got this from one of the moderators.

"A primary aim of any Rolls-Royce or Bentley custodian should be the
preservation of the entire vehicle in a condition as close to original
as possible.
Accordingly, discussion in this forum about maintenance, repair or
restoration of Rolls-Royce or Bentley vehicles must adhere to this
aim. It follows that
Promoting or discussing any vehicle modification that departs from the
original Rolls-Royce or Bentley design or intent for that vehicle is
not permitted. Only where aftermarket replacement parts are
indistinguishable from genuine parts may use of such parts be promoted
or discussed. Only when parts of original design are no longer
available may replacement with suitable non-identical parts be
promoted or discussed. If the moderators consider a thread or post to
be in violation of the above it will be subject to closure, alteration
or deletion without notice or discussion.
Where any doubts arise on what is acceptable maintenance you must
consider the judging guidelines as outlined in Section 6 (General
Rules) of the RROCA Judges Manual".

I asked the same moderator if it was acceptable to discuss my custom pistons and he said:

"No, you may not. I don't doubt that the pistons are a terrific
improvement but so are alloy wheels and electronic ignition.

Where do you draw the line? In the interests of forum stability
I have drawn the line where I have.

Our cars are indeed 'antiquated' but that is rather the point.
If you want a car with modern performance a seventy year old car
might not be a good choice".

I will not be posting much over there any more, I feel like I've just had a bunch of books burned and it's 1933 Austria !

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Jeff, everything was fine until the cowboy showed up with his POS and dumb modifications. I like it here and the RROC site.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I agree with the moderator on the Australian forum, the topic was to do with a modified braking system on a Silver Shadow and I believe that there were serious safety concerns.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with the moderator on the Australian forum, the topic was to do with a modified braking system on a Silver Shadow and I believe that there were serious safety concerns.
Agree 100% with shadow11. The "cowboy" was allowed to carry on posting on a potently dangerous modification for far too long.
I wonder where the forum will go next, hopefully back to how it used to be, helping sensible members.

Jake.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really keep track of the Shadow forum over there much, have no real reason too, so of course I never saw brake mods postings about the Shadow.

Still, it's just a forum, it's free advice, if something were too happen where someones brakes failed, how can a forum and it's contents be responsible ?

The answer is, it can't, in today's society it seems to be the norm to blame others for their mistakes, if this "Cowboy" does something to his brakes and harms himself or others, he can't come after the forum _ the guy is an adult, he's not 12.
It's the same where if I buy brake parts for my Mazda truck and I install them wrong and have them fail, the auto parts store isn't responsible for my negligence.

If he's not being sensible then he should be banned for that, other members should not be penalized for his mistakes.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Checked the Australian RR forum and saw a post about a Edelbrock carb conversion but nothing about brakes. Is this the same gentleman from Texas who started this thread? https://www.rollsroyceforums.com/forums/27-sz-motorcars-1980-2003/27454-put-holley-your-rolls.html

If it's the same guy, he can (as demonstrated in the above thread) be abrasive which does not help his cause, but personally, I don't think that it's a terrible idea convert to conventional braking system on these cars provided that it's done right. I've wondered if the hydroboost setup used on larger trucks with diesel engines would be suitable.

Like I said, I didn't see the thread, but if the guy is experimenting and sharing his thoughts during the process; this is not something that I would condemn. I like originality as much as the next guy, but these cars are not easy cars to maintain and I suspect that many more would be on the road today if people used initiative.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
No, the guy on the AU Forum also did a dumb Edelbrock conversion, (no hood either) and decided to post a million times looking for advice for his cobbled brake set up. It reached a new low point when he wanted advice using a wire rope (cable) and members had it. The guy was a total distraction and did not take advice and started name calling as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What rather bothers me about the australian forum: Why is the design so HORRIBLE outdated? Its like pre-millenium...
Still a great source of information, though :)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
What rather bothers me about the australian forum: Why is the design so HORRIBLE outdated? Its like pre-millenium...
Still a great source of information, though :)

The forums software they use is, I believe, actually pre-millenium and it's also long out of support.

Based on certain acquaintances I have with members there I also know that there have been several substantial efforts to find a path to more modern software all of which have ended in failure secondary to lack of ability to port over the existing content. It would be a major, major loss were all of the information that exists there to disappear.

I've grown quite used to "the drill" required to use the forums there, but I'm a tech geek who got his computer science degree in 1984, so that software is "thoroughly modern" compared to what existed in my earliest days in the IT field.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I use the Australian Forum as regularly as I use this forum. I don't think it's appropriate for messages on one forum to highlight flaws on another forum bearing in mind that both forums are managed by volunteers whose main interest is imparting advice and information on the repair and preservation of RR&B motor cars.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Forums are used to exchange info, good or bad. If a website is awkward to use, slow or poor to navigate, contributors will share it.
That's we come here, we love what we do, share and contribute without reservation.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I agree to a great extent with you Wraithman but I have reservations about comments on one forum that appear to knock the layout of another forum. I believe that any suggestions about a forum should be posted on the forum concerned in order that the moderators of that forum will be made aware of their members feelings. I think I would feel aggrieved if someone on the Australian forum made negative comments about this forum and accordingly feel that members of the Australian forum might feel offended if their forum was to be criticised on this forum.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Please, do not let a "cowboy" on the Australian forum start a discussion on the workings of that forum, it is what it is and it is such a good source of information. A lot of people have spent a large amount of time researching and posting on that forum.
We should be grateful to those people and thank them.

Jake.

·
Registered
746 Posts
What happened to the guy who used to post the technical bulletins in Australia

·
Registered
2 Posts
What happened to the guy who used to post the technical bulletins in Australia
I presume you are referring to"Tee One Topics" - the author Bill Coburn has achieved "OBE" status ["Over Bloody Eighty"] and is enjoying retirement. His story how "Tee One Topics" evolved may be read on the following link:

Australian RR Forums: Bill B. Coburn - a Rolls-Royce Legend

Regarding the Forum edict at the beginning of this thread - this was posted by the Administrator not the Moderator.

Regarding the Forum software, Guyslp is absolutely correct regarding the reason why it has not changed. The forum archives are priceless given the quality, extent, content and model coverage arising from forum member contributions over the years. So far, no practical solution to this problem has been found.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts