Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stirling said:
I sure hope Rolls-Royce or Bentley don't think about going down this road:

Aston Martin Expects Cygnet Minicar to Help Boost Sales 30%
Um...they kinda already have. Why do you think I am only looking at something like the Arnage? Continental? I think not. I don't care much for Volkswagens, why would I pay Bentley money for one? A Bentley that looks like a bubble no less?

*grumble*

·
Registered
68 Posts
CaesoniaF

I resent the comments made about the Bentley brand. We have not driven down that route. All of the cars we build are an individual's interpretation of their own iconic piece of Engineering Excellence.The Arnage although a fabulous car is out of date technology, after all it started it's development back in the early nineties. Perhaps you should visit the factory and see for yourself how much effort goes into making these beautiful motor cars DIFFERENT. Grrrr to you. :x

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well Jacko you have know met CaesoniaF she is a little hot headed at times
Sorry I haven’t been around a lot lately but had to do some WORK all these VW owners want there cars back on the Road for summer
When are we going to the factory???
:shock:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: CaesoniaF

jacko said:
I resent the comments made about the Bentley brand. We have not driven down that route. All of the cars we build are an individual's interpretation of their own iconic piece of Engineering Excellence.The Arnage although a fabulous car is out of date technology, after all it started it's development back in the early nineties. Perhaps you should visit the factory and see for yourself how much effort goes into making these beautiful motor cars DIFFERENT. Grrrr to you. :x
Jacko, sorry to make you so cross. It's true I have never been to the factory, though I did visit the Covernty Cat a long time ago.

My comment really does come based on what I can see in the pictures, interior and exterior, and my experience with many years with the Volvo marque, and how I watched it get diluted and then destroyed.

Of course, a Volvo isn't a Bentley, and I would have expected it to be, but it was another car with a soul, and a very distinct market. The B series engines were absolutely indestructible no matter the frame around it, though most people remember the more boxy like structure.

Alas, the engine and its solid record holdings series - the 2/7/9 series died along with it, and so went the brand. The S40 came out with all the claims of the necessity to modernize and the better engineering yada yada, but it was still a car built on a Mistubishi platform, and drove and felt like one. A look at the fuel injection didn't really show much in the way of improvement over the LH Jetronic system. In fact, the Volvos had used very advanced Fi systems, more so even than BMW for a while.

The current Volvo has no resemblance of the Volvos of yore, and none of the original value set either. It sports a watered down AWD system and uses a transverse Audi engine, that started with the 850 series. the engine, while more modern and efficient in fuel use for power, has proven to have nowhere near the durability of the B series engines. The car has become unreliable, and not very utilitarian for all they try and say it is.

The excuse always was, the B series engine and it's chassis were dated. Never mind their enduring function that was unbeatable, they were 'outdated.'

Strangely, I have always felt that Bentley and Assar and Gustaff had similar ideas for their cars - the idea of a car made for one purpose so durable and capable that it can turn around and win long road races. Both were quite successful at it, though Bentley chose big luxury cruiser, and Assar and Gustaf chose utility. I think that unique heritage is alive in the Arnage, as I can imagine no better touring sedan possible to ride in with ultimate comfort and British class whilst knowing that anytime you feel the need to really put some distance down you can. I just don't get that sensation from something like the Continental, and to some extent I suspect the influence of VW and German mentality on that.

That is the basis and the belief of my opinion, even though I have no doubt the workers at Crew still dedicate themselves to a highly perfected product. And it is, after all, only an opinion. You are welcome to reassure me that this is not the case, and that while Jerry owns the car, he will not foist an Audi on me instead of a Bentley. If I wanted an Audi i would buy one, and I don't want an Audi. :)

Meanwhile, you can help me keep out of trouble as I pick through Arnages. I want something that can stay with me as long as my Volvos had, and be well cared for. As I have said to others on this forum, the car will be driven for real, not a garage queen. Super high mileage it won't be, but driven in all conditions it will be. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ehhh....Seems like a waste of money, rather have my neighbor buy a prius and I buy a Brooklands. :lol:

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's always annoyed me that manufacturers tend to segment the market based on perceived willingness to pay. For instance, I can buy a high-performance sports car with top-spec materials, but I can't buy a city-car built to the same specification.

And while I may not be in the market for a city car, I remember when the Miata/MX5 first came out. I loved that car, but imagine how nice it would have been if someone had made a high-spec version.

The whole Mini re-birth is really the same thing: do a sub-compact car with better engineering and higher-spec materials than the run-of-the-mill sub-compact. And it's been a great hit.

Perhaps Aston should have taken a page out of BMW's book, though, and revived a dead nameplate to do it under. (They're using the Lagonda nameplate for a possible SUV, but why not the Tickford Cygnet?)

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, all emotion aside, the Continental is sourced with a more German parts than the Mulsanne. IIRC, the body, engine and suspension components are produced in Germany and shipped to Crewe for assembly. The Mulsanne is stamped, cast and machined in the UK, so it's more the genuine article. And for a hundred grand more it should be.

Look, the Continental GT is a fabulous car, and I'd push my mother down a flight of stairs to get at it. And it is a Bentley. But the high-end Bentleys are more the real thing.

By the same token, I don't consider any new RR product the real thing. It's assembled and trimmed at Goodwood, but all it's parts are manufactured in Germany at various BMW plants.

On the other hand, Ford did an admirable job in keeping Jag and A-M as true to their roots as possible. Yeah, a lot of switchology made it into the Vanquish, but FoMoCo never shared the V-12 with any other model line. Given Detroit's historical M.O., that was a miracle of restraint.

As to A-M's latest efforts, one word: Stupid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts