Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi fellow enthusiasts, my 2003 Arnage T with 16000 miles has a slight engine vibration, most noticeable at a stopped idle. the idle is steady at 600 RPM, it does not go away after fully warmed up.

i have smoke tested it, no apparent vacuum leaks, i have taken the accessory belt off to see if it was a front end bearing or lose part, no change.

i would appreciate any advice on where to look next.

thank you.

·
Registered
Arnage T MY 05
201 Posts
Mine has the same. I suspect the engine mounts.

New spark plugs have not improved the vibration substantially.

I've decided to live with it. It's not annoying enough to stomach the price of new mounts.

·
Registered
Arnage T MY 05
201 Posts
Almost 1k$ only parts for 2 passive mounts is a new record for my fleet.

In terms of time it doesn't look that easy to do. The mounts are well hidden. You can't see if they are toast from anywhere.

My suspicion is purely based on age and symptoms ....

I do some DIY but tend to ask my mechanic to do stuff I don't feel comfortable with... mounts would fall into the latter category.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I have 2004 arnage r mulliner with 90k miles. slight lumpy at cold but smooth when warm. Reading on other uk arnage forums the T seems to have a lumpy idle at all times. The owners of these vehicles insist on using super unleaded at all times as this does help slightly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you are the 2nd person that said they just live with it...a bit disappointing for a $240,000.00 kind of car.

i really wanted SMOOOOOTH.

thank you for your quick reply,

jim

·
Registered
Arnage T MY 05
201 Posts
If it doesn't smooth out it might be worthwhile to try different fuel. There is a lack of consensus though:

Additionally you might want to consider adding an injector cleaning additive. I have positive experience on the Arnage with additives from Petronas. A little bit of snake oil, but it helped improve my idle.

Changing the fuel filter is also recommended (before all of this).

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2002 Arnage T had a similar problem. Turned out to be a plug wire that was randomly misfiring and sparking to block. You could see it in the dark. It did not show on diagnostics as it was random. Rear mount under GM transmission is a Front Engine Mount for AUDI 80 90 100 200 5000 QUATTRO 4000CS S4 S6 VW QUANTUM at about $35. Original part had an Audi number on it although it looks slightly different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Grease Donkey, i added injector cleaner to the current tank of gas last week, no change yet, i added an octane booster last night, i will drive to empty tank and drive 20 miles away to get some "corn lobby" free gas, that ethanol can't help. since you brought it up, i now remember that the previous owner told me he always went out of his way to get the ethanol free gas as well. thank you for the great reminder!

FYI i did find the special set of 16mm and 17mm right angle wrenches "required" for the mounts on ebay, interesting...i am a youtube mechanic...

@rx12382 i have seen a video where a guy sprayed water in the dark to check for plug wire sparks. mine is not random, it is very consistent. it doesn't really "feel" like a misfire.

@rx12382 i will add the mounts to my cross ref parts list, THANK YOU.

@dumbillbrian i have been using 93 octane gas, but will get ethanol free gas next.

WOW, thank you for the great suggestions all!

·
Registered
Arnage T MY 05
201 Posts
Has anyone successfully installed the Audi S6 mounts??

IMHO the share the same basic design, but are not the same. They have connectors because they are active. Based on my research they don't match and are NLA at Audi.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Arnage Front Engine Mounts - The castings on the engine mounts of my 2002 Arnage T were marked with the Audi symbol and part # 4B3 199 379 K and 4B3 199 379 J although they were not "active engine mounts" and have no electrical connection. A suitable substitute is Audi Engine Mount - 034Motorsport 0345090008 which is a solid version of this mount. You will need the cages (heat shields) if your car has the old style and the stud setup is a little different but workable. About $100 US each. Same both sides. As far as I know the OEM hydromount version or substitute will work also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts