Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2007 Arnage R and I have never known how to turn off the speed warning chimes that come on when you go above the low 70's. Has anyone discovered how to do it? Through the years I've re-read the manual and never found even a mention of the speed warning. Thanks so much in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,124 Posts
It's built into the DIP ECU on all cars but only turned on for the Middle East market. Your car was either originally built for that market or someone has turned it on. On Spirits and Spurs you can turn it on and off yourself using the instructions in the workshop manual. On Arnages, I believe you will need a Bentley Omitec diagnostic unit to turn it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for that explanation. It is a US car so it must have been turned on, but that is really surprising and I can't imagine who did it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem suddenly appear on my 2007 Arnage ! It is also a USA-spec car. Beeping starts at around 72mph, and gets progressively louder.
The Good News: It's easily re-settable by pressing button combinations (I assume so that Owners can set/unset before any inspections etc).
Instructions are in 'Assist', procedure P32150RB, but in brief:
  1. Get in car, Key to 'ON', but don't start the engine
  2. Press and Hold both the Trip and Cancel buttons until the DIP (Info screen between the gauges) goes blank (takes maybe 10 sec).
  3. Release both buttons, then immediately press and hold them again.
  4. When the DIP displays SN (Serial Number) and SW (Software level) press Trip again.
  5. You should then get a list of items you can change. Scroll thru them with the Trip, change them with the Cancel.
  6. If you don't do anything for maybe 30 sec it will 'time-out' and revert to the normal display. This is how you exit the process too.
  7. If you don't get this far, turn the key off and try again from step 1.
  8. The item you want to change is 'Overspeed Warning'
  9. From memory. the other items are Language, Miles/km, degF/degC and a few others.
  10. As I used to tell my students in computer classes, I STRONGLY recommend you change 1 thing at a time then test it. If it acts weird, you know exactly what caused it !
  11. To exit, just wait for the time-out. It will make your changes effective upon exit.
This started happening on my Arnage right about the time I had battery problems, ending-up replacing both as I let them get flat and wouldn't take a recharge. My best guess is that caused some kind of 'glitch', and somehow reset this Overspeed value to a default. No other values were changed.

Good Luck - let us know if it works. There's a dearth of useful info/experiences on these cars, and every bit helps.
I came from Jaguars - everybody and his Uncle wrenches on them, and helpfully writes about it....

Jeremy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dear Jeremy,
Thank you so much for the brilliant solution! I followed your instructions and was able to turn off the Overspeed Warning. In all the years I've had the Arnage I had no idea that 'Assist' was even there and with such an extensive menu too. Time to re-read the manual! And the next time I have a battery replaced I'll check to see if the warning turned itself back on.
Thanks again for taking the time to explain the whole process.
Best, Don

Moderator note: There is no need to quote a previous post when you are replying if you are following the train of thought in the thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great - happy to help, and thanks for 'closing the loop' with the results !
I'm sure you probably already know, but the 'Assist' I referred to is the RR/B Workshop Manual (called IETIS Assist) for these cars. Available from Flying Spares (and possibly other places) in digital format for a minimal amount.
Be warned - it has massive amounts of extremely useful information BUT the World's most unfriendly hard-to-use interface: think Windows 3.1 circa 1990 !

The Owners Manual that comes with the car has NO reference to the setting these options. Probably because they want to to 'have your Dealer do it' at $200+/hr....
Honestly, I'm surprised they let us put our own gas/petrol in the cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts