Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have anyone familiar with the functions of the Bentley ride control system? Each damper has a dual solenoid valve attached which I assume varies the port size to give different levels of damping. The circuit diagram shows just two options, comfort and normal. As there is no driver input switch to select either, this is done automatically via the ride control module and the steering wheel encoder. I have almost completed refurbishment of my car but in my opinion the ride is really hard. The self-leveling system is operational and the car is level. Both front and rear are too hard. Any theories as to what could be causing this? OBD shows no codes.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
As far as I know it is different from SZ cars.
You should make a diag, with mastercheck.
I suppose you can reset suspension ECU , recalibrate, like on late SZ cars
It may be stuck in sport mode

Have you started the car with cables or old strong booster ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
With my Citroëns, hard ride was usually up to spheres being shot. Though I opine with little direct knowledge of your specific automobile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Based on my practical experience with the Arnage I suggest you change the spheres/accumulators and hydraulic fluid. A good starting point is the break accumulator (easy access from below). Funnily the break accumulator seems to influence the suspension. This might be linked to the overall pressure in the hydraulic system (which is the same for breaking, steering and suspension).

Once I've swapped the break accumulator my 05 Arnage T's ride quality has significantly improved. Changing the hydraulic fluid (DIY see previous post) further improved handling.

Please note that the suspension accumulator/shperes in the trunk can't be expected to last much longer than 10-15 years max neither. Predominantly a question of time not of mileage. Same as for Citroen. I will need to change mine in the near future....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The brake accumulator seems to be normal, it takes about 20 pumps of the brake to dissipate the boost once the engine stops. I did not touch the rear accumulator but did fill the system with new fluid. Having stood for a few years the rear of the car was sagging but as soon as I started it it jacked itself up to level. As the front is as hard as the rear I shall start with diagnosing the ride control system.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Do the rear spheres, very likely they are shot. They will have a date code printed on them, if anywhere near ten years old they need replacing. The whole car will ride hard and even though it feels like the front it's probably the rear transferring throughout the car. If the Auto Ride is not working you will get warning beeps and flashes of the warning lamp in the DIP. You would need the Omitec RR specific diagnostic tool to diagnose the Auto Ride but if you are not getting warning beeps and flashes of the warning lamp in the DIP while you are driving it is working OK. I don't work on a lot of Arnages but I've replaced those spheres on three in the past few years and the ride improved a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1. Fully agree with Jim.

Selfleveling has nothing to do with functional spheres. It merly confirms that the hydraulic system is building and keeping pressure.
If in doubt please google using Citroen as one the keywords.

BTW my old brake accumulator did 20 pumps as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts