Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Arnage has two sets of contacts on the brake pedal switch, one for the brake lights, the other listed as gearshift inhibitor. One would then assume, like most cars, the shift cannot be moved out of park unless the brake pedal is depressed. On my car, however, I can shift out of park any time. Also, to do so, the shift lever must be lifted which is normal, but there is no requirement to lift going from drive to lower gears, which is not normal. I assume a previous owner removed some of the safety components from the shift mechanism but I would be interested to hear the experiences of others.

·
Registered
78 Posts
No lock of gearbox linked to break pedal on my 05 Arnage T.

It has 100% Bentley maintenance records, so I strongly suspect this is stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, we can. Very annoying indeed. Also D to N without stop. I often have to look onto the dash to know if I'm in 3rd or D.

Let's blame the GM gearbox!

·
Registered
78 Posts
... then it must be due to the hectic situation in the engineering department, when they decided to put the RR 6.75 engine back in after VW took over... they must have been cutting corners at that time.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
... then it must be due to the hectic situation in the engineering department, when they decided to put the RR 6.75 engine back in after VW took over... they must have been cutting corners at that time.
I think that they went back to using the same gearbox controller that they had used on the SZ cars, IIRC, my Arnage functions in exactly the same way as my 98 Brooklands. When I think of RR engineering, this comes to mind often.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is most strange. My car has the BMW engine and the ZF 5HP30 5-speed transmission. The gear selector lever sends signals to the rather clumsy shift actuator mounted behind the gearbox. This actuator moves the selector on the gearbox. Very much over-engineered, a simple cable would sufficed. I think the BMW 740 series used the same system and I would think on the 740 the selector has the conventional stops and brake interlock. Although my manual lists the second contact on the brake light switch as "gearshift inhibitor" and there are wires attached to it there is no wiring diagram corresponding to this. I am surprised this system got by the US inspectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts