Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I've connected my Omitec OMISCAN RR/Bentley diagnostic tool to my 98 Brooklands R so that I can align a keyfob but when trying to access the security system, I get 'communication error'. The same applies when I try to access the transmission. Oddly enough, I can access other systems like airbag and immobilizer.

I'm using the round plug and also connected the battery to a second battery on a running car so that it got plenty of voltage as I know that this could be a problem.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was earlier but i don't think so anymore. Since I disconnected the transmission memory module that has leaking batteries inside it. It's been a while since I drove that thing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting please enlighten me on the location of the transmission memory module/battery.

I see no mention of it in TSD6006/TSD5500

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now, it's sitting in the roof of the car :)

I'll take a picture of it next time I'm at the shop

·
Registered
59 Posts
TSD6000-866-1.jpg

I found it, it's fitted ti 2006 and newer SZ cars. I remember seeing it in the vicinity of the transmission control unit.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no battery in this module but i think there is one in the siren. That's the next step for me to test. As soon as it gets below 140 degrees in the shop.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The saga continues, even with the siren plugged in, the alarm still refuses to talk to the scan tool. I don't think that i've ever had this much trouble diagnosing a car, especially not with the factory tools. This is turning into sh*t show. Say what you like about the brand, engineering was not their strong suit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check out john robison's site for detailed instructions on how to replace the battery. Before it starts leaking. It is quite a daunting task unless you have done lots of them!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, the ECU on the Arnage and the Brookands does not have a battery. There is a battery backup in the siren. If I can get a wiring diagram for it, I'm sure i can figure it out but so far, nothing that I'm trying with the factory scanner is working.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ya has to click on the link in my last post. It looks like it would take 5-6 hours but apparently if you know what you are doing, it can be done in an hour! That said, most garages recommend replacing with an after market alarm rather than doing all this work! Snot in the ECU, it is buried behind the dash

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately, the ECU box behind the dash on the later cars on the later brookands also controls the lights and immobilizer. I'd love to be able to swap it out or bypass the alarm function. I need to find a wiring diagram for it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Unfortunately, the ECU box behind the dash on the later cars on the later brookands also controls the lights and immobilizer.
that
TOO RIGHT!! And the rumour is that the battery not only dies over time, it also leaks all over that circuitry destroying what is in its path! (though I have never heard of this actually happening)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that
TOO RIGHT!! And the rumour is that the battery not only dies over time, it also leaks all over that circuitry destroying what is in its path! (though I have never heard of this actually happening)
Right, except it does not have a battery on the later clifford alarm. I've opened mine up and confirmed it. The battery is in the siren as I understand (not confirmed yet).

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the alarm system armed no communication is possible with the diagnostic tool.
Key in ignition @ run position it will talk with the Omitec.
1996 and later cars have a transponder in the key and a ring antenna (#1) around the ignition switch (#2)
TSD6081 is going to be your guide with this situation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts