Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All,
I am interested in a 1980's RR Silver Spur. I like the way the car looks and rides. I know that in the car circles people have advice and knowledge as to where someone could obtain a vehicle that is in good condition as well as reasonably priced. I am currently looking at a car from a Ford dealer who is asking about 9k but there are some serious issues with the car such as leaking like a sive, paint and interior are shot, chrome needs to be redone and to add to it all, it has 190 k miles.

Because I estimate the car will cost somewhere in the 30-40 K range to restore the vehicle to its original luster, I will be offering the dealer 2 k for the car. I do not believe I will get it but I will try anyway.

Is there anyone on the fourm that could steer me in the right direction in getting me a car. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
New and first post. My rule is always buy the best you can afford. From the description and price seems you could do much better. With a slightly higher budget.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi I would run and hide from it
There are a lot of cars out there with a lot les mileage and in better condition
It will be off the road for a long time and the cost of parts will go through the roof
Give this chap a ring I have had several from him at a good price and been very good
Plus he will help with good information as he is a RR & Bentley Tec
Dan on 07831425192 let it ring

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree. the extent of work that these cars can demand is great. I think you would be far better off spending a bit more and getting a good example. Low mileage, good service history will always pay dividend.

If I hear of anything I will let you know.

Matt

·
Registered
85 Posts
Depending on your actual budget. Say you have $20,000 U.S to spend and this seems to be what below 1991 decent Spur/spirits are going for in the U.S. But for that money you can find good near show car well maintained Shadow II's. This works better for 911's (porsches), because for the most part they have the same overall look to them. Like a run down late 1984+ and above 911 can be had for $12,000 to $14,000 in the U.S, but you'll get a pretty tired high miled travelled car. For the same money you can easily find an 911SC 1979 to 1983 targa and even cabs with under 100,000 miles, near mint interiors and paint, etcetera. Despite loosing some HP and few minor options, overall you can get a much better car going older. At least in the U.S, much worse economy wise then Canada. You can find some very nice late model Shadows between $15,000 to $20,000 low miles, good bodies and interior and well serviced. Often with records of recent needed service. In this economy as Id rather spend near $20,000 on a nice Shadow that needs little attention over a driver o.k average Spur/Spirit or even an early Bentley badge engineered Rolls Royce Turbo R! When the tide turns and we have a better economy Shadows should be back up near the $30,000 U.S mark, could get the pleasure of driving a Rolls Royce and get all my money back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
valid point but if it was me I would spend a little more and buy a 1987-1989 injected car. They drive better than shadows. If I did go for a shadow I would definitely get a shadow 2 with rack and pinion steering. I think whatever you get if you drive it regularly then you will have to spend money on maintaining
it. If you are prepare to spend £900 on front shocks then I would buy a 1990+ turbo. Good interior, great drive. Then if you go 1993+ you get the late electronic injection engine. really nice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree Matt. Was just using lower budget examples. Not much difference in early SZ's over late Shadow II's drive wise. Bigger budget came into play today. Local to me Vancouver dealer had a reasonable priced 1996 Spur with low kilometers. Like the lite pressure turbo, nearing last of the Crewe line. Really like the interior. But they also had two Seraph's, both 2000 year wise and under 15,000 kilometers on the clocks. Main agent serviced. Both still smell new inside. Despite having seven series BMW cloaked with new body style and much nicer inside. For a bit more ($5,000CDN) can have either over the Spur. For my intended purpose the Seraph is a better fit. More modern lines and authorized dealer can service........................... Starting a car service during the 2010 Olympics. Once registered as a commercial vehicle to resell many see that as a negative. So dealer service kinda helps lesson that. Also more "modern" too compete with Lincoln town cars. Also easier better finance options. Still applying the best I can afford or Id go Phantom!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Rolls Royce Silver Spur

gje99 said:
9k is a dangerous amount - there are plenty of good and not so good cars at that level. If you want to try a virtually identical Spirit out before you decide, let me know. May be money well spent (and I'll do a discount for Forum members).
I looked at your cars and noticed the wonderful XJ6 you have. It really brought back memories of my youth, and getting schooled a lot driving in our 1977. The boys were never trusted with such a car, but my mother and grandfather did trust me. In all candor it was such memories that made started me towards the Arnage. I suppose it is hard to fight nostalgia and craftsmanship in a single blow.

My experience with restoring many cars has taught me that higher mileage with an owner who has meticulously maintained the car is better than the granny mobile that barely gets out enough to lubricate the seals. Especially if you expect a real driver - and all my cars should be good drivers as far as I am concerned.

I' ve already looked at a few Arnage garage queens, and I am afraid some owners just let them sit too much.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Thanks my Jag has been part of the family she arrived on my birthday in 1990
And has seen 2 es wife’s and on the third
She was used all the time till 2001 when I retired her and got a Bentley
But I must admit that when I get her out for the summer and get in I wish they still made them so I could get a new one
You turn the key and wind the V12 over and listen to it burst in to life what a felling

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bentleyman22-
Yes, Ford did help Jaguar clean up a number of problems. Ford has been, and still is, about making cars. That's why they are the one US car maker that really will head strong into the future, without a bunch of handouts. Their big mistake was pushing too hard for the one wolrd car look, when it was more about glocalization and making something truly unique.

Shortly after purchasing the 77 XJ6, my father proceeded to strip all the Lucas electronics out of the car, and rewire it appropriately for the demands placed on it. Then he did a few other things, and the car did very well. It came to an untimely end in an accident, but gave very dependable service otherwise. I think the one weakness in the drivetrain ws the GM differential with the spider-gear in some of the later models.

I guess for myself, I would rather pay more for something really long living, than to fiddle through and change cars every 3 years. I want to like what I drive, and be comfortable with it. I've stuck with 240s all these years because they have been good to me, but with the last passing 17, it's time to find something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts