Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
" I use that sh*t on everything" from line fittings, bolts and nuts. Always have a container with a small paint brush on my service cart.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
"I use that sh*t on everything" . . .
And ever future owner of one of the cars you've touched, even if they come into contact with it after it has become a basket case (as this is so often cyclic), should be silently praising you (and really will be, whether they know it or not!).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I own the following extractor a TopSider, purchased on a recommendation:

I've been pretty unhappy with it. Capacity is too low for most cars (at least what I drive), pump sprays oil if it gets overfilled and since it's metal, no visual sense on when you're at capacity.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you're going to chisel this, I would suggest farming the job out to a mechanic. Air chisels can hop around and if you put a hole in the pan, you're going to need to get a new pan. Something that can easily happen if you're not used to handling an air chisel.
Thanks for the word of caution @alabbasi . Punching a hole in the pan is something I'd rather avoid. I'll probably just try my dremel trick and if that doesn't work my buddy has agreed to weld a nut on it for me. It may seem like overkill, but we had a stripped bolt situation when doing a lift on my jeep and welding a nut on top was pretty much the golden bullet solution. Even if I use an oil extractor, the more I think about it I can't stand to leave this thing stuck on there for the next guy. Feels sloppy.

So regardless of the sump plug conundrum, I may wind up going the extractor route yet. Your point about it being 12 quarts and how much can it really leave behind as a % of capacity is up my alley in terms of logic. Do you find the extractor is less time consuming? With the number of cars I have shaving a few minutes off of basic maintenance would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
All of the sump plugs I've seen are a brass alloy, at least on SY cars.
BTW Unless Ray Charles was using the air chisel, there would be no chance the chisel would endanger the pan since it is being aimed parallel to the edge of the sump head. Also, the air pressure can always be reduced and the chisel bit held by hand. I can assure you techs with experience no how to handle this. This plug will unseat itself in seconds. I have actually used an air chisel to unseat small fasteners to turn so there should be no problem with something the size of a sump plug.
If you can't visualize my recommendation, I can send a pic since I will have a car up on my lift today.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@Wraithman , my issue is that just sort of on principle I can't bring myself to getting a shop to do an oil change. I know that's a little silly given the circumstances but I'm not sure my stubborn pride can take a hit like that lol. And mentally envisioning what the air chisel will entail, I tend to agree with @alabbasi that there's a non trivial chance of me putting a hole in the pan if I did it myself. I'd rather stay on the safe side. Welding a nut on is only going to take 30 minutes, requires buying less tools and it's quality Natty Light time to try and convince my buddy we should run a diesel MB at Gambler this year instead of a Jeep XJ.

Slightly interesting update, I received the multitool from BTW (in addition to a .525 hex bit I didn't order) and those things are waaaaay too big for the sump plug currently on the car. Did Bentley change the size in later years or more likely someone put something aftermarket on?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Car just went into the shop for the suspension goodies I couldn't get to but I'll snap a pic when it gets back. The plug is silver in appearance. Does not look like brass to me. The dremel did go through it like butter though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got in the new sump plug from British Tool Works, definitely not the same as on my car. Now I'm wondering if maybe the threads are different on mine and it's crossthreaded or something. Total aside, but what customer service they have. The initial order didn't have the plug included, they actually overnighted it for me when I brought it to their attention. I really hope I can give them my business again.

To the initial subject of the thread, I pulled the trigger on a JDI 6 gallon extractor. Do you guys have any suggestions on what capacity air compressor I should buy? This and air tools are the only real uses I see for it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
80 gallon 3 stage 5 hp compressor because you can never have enough!

Realistically, a 20-25 gallon compressor will probably be what you need for 90% of applications, just make sure it's not an oil free compressor. (I have a 60 gallon one which I thought was huge but I find that it can't keep up with a sander).

A friend recently bought this one and likes it. He made sure he changed the oil 2-3 times when he first got it to run in it and used the extractor to suck the oil out of the pump.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Have an industrial Ingersol-Rand 120 gal with clean air intake and condenser coil on the output. Mounted on iso blocks in a separate soundproof room with remote magnetic turn on.
I can sandblast (pressure blast) or mediablast all day and always keeps up. Dedicated line to paint booth with additional air cleaning (desiccant).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Whoah. You guys aren't playing around with your air compressors. I have an issue of limited space in my garage so optimally I'm trying to get like the smallest that will work. Thinking I may go pick up that HF 20 gallon one tomorrow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, I went with what appears to be a reasonably decent setup. JDI-6 gallon extractor + 20 gallon HF compressor (that uses oil). Not a huge fan of this method. It's been working on extracting the oil for a cumulative 2.5 hours and there's still some dribbling out. Tank says it's at just shy of 2.5 gallons which seems to be capacity for these cars so I probably need to just call it. But I will say, it does look awfully pretty sitting in the garage. Can't wait to get some air tools

Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Door

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would not sweat trying to get the last drop out. Just take a break between each time you pull a vacuum and do that 4-5 times. You'll get 99% of the oil out. I'll take that over having to crawl underneath the car if I don't have to get to the oil filter that way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah, probably right on that point. Well, either way I think this is the way I'll be doing the Bentley for course of ownership. My dad made a good point that if that sump plug is cross threaded I've opened up another can of worms if I get it out. The car currently holds oil and doesn't leak, and I have a way of getting the oil out. Better not to poke the bear.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts