Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Currently have a Cayenne Petrol PHEV as the family runabout but fancy an upgrade and like the Bentayga.

I don't do moon miles and not super-bothered about mpg but I'm wondering if anyone has owned/driven a diesel Bentayga?

Setting aside the notion that Diesel engines should not be in a Bentley it seems to get very positive reviews in terms of refinement, massive torque right from idle and sequential turbos and a lag-eliminating electric compressor.

Anyway, just wondered what people's informed (or uninformed!) opinion is?

· Registered
4,630 Posts
I don't know what the status of diesel prices are in Europe, but that's one thing that has gone absolutely through the roof here in the USA, and even as gasoline has been dropping in price I've noticed no corresponding move in that direction for diesel.

It's over $5 per gallon here, at bargain stations, and I don't live in an area where our fuel prices even tend to be at or above the national average.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Last time I filled up in my E320 CDI, I paid $4.50 / gallon which was too much, but I had to refuel. The bucees on the way to my shop which is where I filled up my 7.3 F350 the next day was $3.60/gallon. Is it worth it? I get between 600-700 miles between fill ups in the CDI and I usually fill up with less than 20 gallons. I can probably get the same or better mileage out of a petrol engine car, but I won't get more room, or better quality, power and torque.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesel is around 15% more than petrol currently in the UK. OPEC cut oil production which caused a spike in fuel prices but it hit diesel more going into winter as it is used as a method of heating, power generation, and other fuels namely natural gas have had supply cut from Russia to Europe, raising the demand for diesel.

· Registered
Arnage T MY 05
227 Posts
Just to compare: the Porsche Cayenne Diesel V8 is a nice package. Enough punch. Surprising sound (not really Diesel like). Consupmtion can be below 10l/100km, which is quite amazing. The only problems I've heard of are blown transfer cases.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Most modern diesel engines in automotive applications sound (and belch black exhaust) NOTHING like the diesels of old. They're quite quiet and well-mannered while retaining the power characteristics of the breed.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Wife decided to go full electric, so it's now gone
I presume by "it" you mean the growl, not the torque. So far, everyone I've known that has gone to an EV has been stunned at how instantly torque-y they are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts