Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My post was not funny. I was trying to determine whether the noise generated was from a static (standstill) vs a dynamic (moving) condition. Good luck
My apologies. I now understand you to mean, had anyone removed the wheel to check? My British sense of humour led me to believe you meant it could be the noise of the metal on the road if driving on the hubs. I am suitably chastised.

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
Moderator note: Edward, as a relatively new member of this forum, please take a moment to read through "Instructions for navigating the site" and "How to reply to a discussion thread"in the FAQ section, link here:FAQ There are other topics there that you may find informative. Please note also that it is not necessary to quote a previous post in your reply if you are following the train of thought in the thread, it just clutters up the thread unnecessarily. Thanks, Jim.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
it is not necessary to quote a previous post in your reply if you are following the train of thought in the thread,
Amen to that. The following is not aimed at the OP, specifically, but I have become increasingly annoyed by the fact that it seems that those who are joining the forum these days just do not seem to know how to use the Quote feature (which allows for the collection of multiple quoted segments if you need to do a point by point.

Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

All you have to do to quote a specific small tidbit is to select (highlight) it and hit the Quote control that appears once you have. Here's a screenshot of how I quoted just the part from Mr. Walter's post saying you don't (and shouldn't) hit the Reply button, quoting an entire message. Often, any quotation is unnecessary, but when one or more points are needed to establish a context in a reply, the Quote function should be used to collect those bits and insert them in to the reply.

You can even go back and snag only the phrase you want to quote after having quoted another. I decided to snag @5801edwardholmes' statement, "I apologize," which, when highlighted looked just like Mr. Walter's did. After hitting the Quote function, in order to insert it, you hit the Insert Quotes button that appears below where you're typing. The quote will be inserted immediately after wherever your cursor happens to be at the moment you hit the button:
My apologies.
If you collected several quotes, the insert button will will read, Insert Quotes (X), where X is the number of individual items quoted:
Rectangle Font Brand Number Paper product

Then, if you activate it, you can choose to delete any one of the things you've selected, if you've changed your mind, or to insert them at the cursor:
Rectangle Font Software Technology Screenshot

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I agree with you, in part. However the, to me, out of place humour about the wheels was not funny. I am 79yrs old, served over 22 years in the British Army as a vehicle mechanic, and decided to spend 1/3 of my life savings on a Bentley Arnarge to fore-fill a lifelong ambition, part of the ( major) decision was having a very good local repair garage with some years of servicing and a good reputation carrying out repairs on Bentleys ,not requiring special equipment ,in our area. As i am still on a learning curve I find the forum invaluable.

Moderator note: Edward, as a relatively new member of this forum, please take a moment to read through "Instructions for navigating the site" and "How to reply to a discussion thread"in the FAQ section, link here:FAQ There are other topics there that you may find informative. Please note also that it is not necessary to quote a previous post in your reply if you are following the train of thought in the thread, it just clutters up the thread unnecessarily. Thanks, Jim.
I agree with you, in part. However the, to me, out of place humour about the wheels was not funny. I am 79yrs old, served over 22 years in the British Army as a vehicle mechanic, and decided to spend 1/3 of my life savings on a Bentley Arnarge to fore-fill a lifelong ambition, part of the ( major) decision was having a very good local repair garage with some years of servicing and a good reputation carrying out repairs on Bentleys ,not requiring special equipment ,in our area. As i am still on a learning curve I find the forum invaluable.

Ok, thank you. A learning curve.

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
Edward, do not click on "reply" when you reply to a post. Note the wider dialogue box below the last post in a thread, it says "write your reply" in faded text in the left hand top corner. Simply click in that box and type your reply in that box, that way only your reply shows in the thread. It is rarely necessary to quote a previous post when replying. This instruction is included in the forum FAQ that I previously posted the link to but here it is again: "How to reply to a discussion thread"in the FAQ section, link here:FAQ

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
If one has made a mistake in their post such as adding a quote multiple times as in post #24 above you can edit your post by clicking on the three dots in the top right hand corner of the post. This will open a site navigation window in which you click on 'edit", then you can edit your post by deleting or adding content as needed.

· Registered
67 Posts
Hello
I also own Arnage Red Label with 6.75 engine. Seems that I have same problem. I checked all vacuum hoses for leakage, found few leakages but I still hear noise. Also if your car has vacuum leakage you will see check engine mailfunction on dashboard. On our car we have also leakage detection pump which is located under right wheel arch. May be its create such noise because when I drowe car without rear seat I heared this noise exactly from place where this pump is located.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts