Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now had my Bentley Arnarge, Red Label 2000 model, for 3 months; all small defects/ improvements carried out but cannot find source of an annoying 'whistle' when under load or accelerating! .When 'coasting; runs silent as it should. Any advice very welcome as it is spoiling my enjoyment of this fine vehicle.

Regards Edward

· Registered
4,630 Posts
I'm thinking turbo whine, which is not uncommon (almost characteristic, I'd say).

· Registered
4,630 Posts
and as said, only occurs under load or acceleration.
Which is why I think it's turbo whistle. As @alabbasi said, the degree of "whistle" should be directly proportional to how hard you're pushing the car. They're almost never silent.

It should be much more noticeable when you're "flooring it from rest" than it is accelerating from say 60 to 70 MPH.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
vacuum leak, find a shop with a smoke machine or smoke a big ole cigar to find the breach. Have you ruled out an alternator bearing or the idler pulley?

· Registered
223 Posts
If only occurring under load (wide open throttle, WOT) as mentioned very likely a leak in one of the large hoses connecting the turbos to the intercooler. Probably a loose clamp but could also be a small crack in the hose. WOT spins up the turbos and creates positive pressure in the induction system so a loose clamp can cause some blow by. Low throttle will give negative pressure and suck the hose snug. Try tightening the clamps first.

· Registered
223 Posts
Occurs as soon as the acceleration pedal is pressed
Then it is most likely one of the hoses mentioned above. I don't know the turbo setup on the 6.75 engine but there will certainly be hoses between the turbo(s) and intercooler and intercooler and throttle body. Check the hoses and clamps on all these and also any small hose on the intwercooler and throttle body which may have come loose.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
Not supportive? I don't think you will find another site to help you better in the RR/B community. Proper diagnostics requires questions and if you feel your needs are not being met here you could always cast your fate to the local gas station or a dealer who knows nothing about servicing your car. Your car, your choice.

· Registered
12 Posts
I agree with you, in part. However the, to me, out of place humour about the wheels was not funny. I am 79yrs old, served over 22 years in the British Army as a vehicle mechanic, and decided to spend 1/3 of my life savings on a Bentley Arnarge to fore-fill a lifelong ambition, part of the ( major) decision was having a very good local repair garage with some years of servicing and a good reputation carrying out repairs on Bentleys ,not requiring special equipment ,in our area. As i am still on a learning curve I find the forum invaluable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts