Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After resolving one issue with stalling and power loss due to a faulty coil, the alternator took a turn for the worse and on the daily commute got louder louder. I sourced the bearings (All of £18), replaced them.

Now it's back in the car it shows 13.8+ volts at the output but the battery discharges, use the lights and the engine stops.

I've checked voltage at the battery when it's running to find it slowly dropping down till about 10v, go to the other end, alternator shows 14v at output. Am I missing some mystery device in between the alternator and the battery?

Also the input to the alternator (on the side) is labelled A and F, which is positive and which is negative, because I very well might have these back wards as both are usefully black!

For quick read:
Alternator +14V
Battery no charge

Thank you,

Adam

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If you're getting 14v at the alternator but nothing at the battery, there maybe something on with your voltage regulator. I converted mine to a GM alternator and did away with the voltage regulator. Video here for how it's done and it does cover wiring which may be useful to you:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts