Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 Silver Shadow II. I think the alternator is failing. I believe my car has the voltage regulator in the trunk (boot) near the battery. I generally do electrical work on my cars myself. Is there a general purpose "universal" replacement alternator that will bolt in? In the USA, of course.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello

I can only find info upto the 76 cars (using the manuals on the Australian RROC site). It seems that it may well have a separate voltage regulator. These are of simple construction (the wiring diagrams I can see even show the internals of the regulator). The regulator has an additional complexity as it feeds some sort of battery temperature sensor/circuit (take a look at the diags).

If your alternator is failing electrically, it can only be the brushes in the alternator, or a simple component within the regulator. Both should be easily fixed.

If the alternator is failing mechanically (a bearing), then you can get bearings.

What make is the alternator?

Cheers... Rob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just a further note

on 'www.ebay.co.uk'

Alternators (2nd hand) seem to go for £35 to £65, and there is a regulator there for £19 (buy now).

Just search for 'Rolls Alternator'

Do any of these parts look like yours?

Cheers... Rob.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts