Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Bentley Turbo that I have owned for 17 years and only accumulated 19,000 miles. I need to replace the tires due primarily to age. The tire size is 255/65/VR 15 and are only made by Avon at a cost of $2,000 for a set. I am looking for an alternative size. The speed capability is not critical for my use of the car but the load index is since the car weighs over 5,100 lbs. I understand that the tire diameter will not be the same and will effect the speedometer reading. One important issue is the rim width size which is 71/2J. The tire suppliers are reluctant to make any suggestions for fear of legal liability if the car were in an accident. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom Greasel.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You can go slightly smaller to 255/60R15 and get tires for about $100/tire. You'll lose about 1 inch from your overall diameter and your actual speed will be 3-4mph slower at 70mph than what your speedo will read.

Don't expect the same speed rating but you should be able to get the load rating.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can go slightly smaller to 255/60R15 and get tires for about $100/tire. You'll lose about 1 inch from your overall diameter and your actual speed will be 3-4mph slower at 70mph than what your speedo will read.

Don't expect the same speed rating but you should be able to get the load rating.
I have that size on the rear axle of my 1971 Corvette. Most tyres available are "not very good" to be polite, but I fitted some Vitour Galaxy last year, and I'm really quite impressed. They have speed index V = 240km/h and load index 102. What I'm not sure of, is if they're available without white lettering...

I will have to replace my Avons too at some point, but "unfortunately" live in Germany where vehicle inspectors have no sense of humour, and would go nuts if you showed up with the wrong tyre size on your car :-(

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
743 Posts
Usually the white lettering is on one side and can be hidden when mounted. There are a couple of brand names in that size that should be fine. I saw Yokohama , BF Goodrich and Dunlop. I did not see many in V rated however.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Many of us have wondered what to do for new tires for out Turbo Rs, as did I a few years ago. I decided to go with BF Goodrich Radial T/A, with the white letters facing in of course. I went for 235/70 R15, which is the size of the tires the non-turbo cars (and all Rolls) came with. In my opinion they have been great. They don’t look skinny at all, they ride well, and they are a bit more of a sporty tire compared to the other options. Yes, only S speed rated but when am I going over 109mph? And the speedometer is still accurate. Yup, these are the same tires you see on muscle cars, which are big, heavy, front engine, rear wheel drive V8 monsters, much like our Turbo Rs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The BF Goodrich T/A 235/70-15T recently became available here in Australia and i've fitted them to my Bentley8 with great results,improved grip and ride,quite also,i previously had 225/75-15S Sumitomo's which were good tyres, these tyres have a more sporting feel and grip.Cheers Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1989 Bentley Turbo that I have owned for 17 years and only accumulated 19,000 miles. I need to replace the tires due primarily to age. The tire size is 255/65/VR 15 and are only made by Avon at a cost of $2,000 for a set. I am looking for an alternative size. The speed capability is not critical for my use of the car but the load index is since the car weighs over 5,100 lbs. I understand that the tire diameter will not be the same and will effect the speedometer reading. One important issue is the rim width size which is 71/2J. The tire suppliers are reluctant to make any suggestions for fear of legal liability if the car were in an accident. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom Greasel.
Hi i have had the same problem and have changed the wheels for 18 inch this is not easy I will be making a kit available to convert this will include everything you need except tyres which are easy to get as 18inch cost of kik £1900 this also improves road holding kind regards Martin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts