Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to replace the air filter on my car (SRX18501) but note from the parts diagram (attached) there are two gaskets. One is a cork gasket, the other a rubber seal.

My car is missing the cork gasket however it does seem to be superfluous - why have a cork gasket and a rubber seal. The cork gasket is held in place by fitting it under the six bolts that locate the under-wing air housing. This would surely cause the gasket to be distorted at it's inner edges.

Can anyone advise me?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The air intake casing sits between the outer wing and inner wing, then on the engine side of the inner wing there should be a metal disc with six bolt holes that match the six bolt holes in the inner wing and in the intake casing (if my memory serves me correctly, I can't get to my car at the moment to verify this). The cork gasket is sandwiched between this metal disc and the inner wing to create a seal. This metal disc doesn't appear to be shown in the Heritage Parts diagram above. Then the rubber seal fits in the rim of the outlet pipe. I'm only going from memory but if you need me to check I can hopefully get to my car tomorrow, Larry.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There was an evolution on the air filter, as you may know.

It depends if you have the original system or the second one which became the official replacement and as far as I remember you havd to take out some parts.
Have you the modern air fiter or the old system ?

Others will remeber and explain better than me

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jean

Mine has the modern paper air filter. Earlier cars had the oil mesh filters. In fact there may have been several iterations, as is common on these cars (e.g. the window lift mechanisms)

Bill Coburn has written about the air cleaner in ch84, page 1142 in tee-one topics. Here's an excerpt from his article:

"The original filters on all Shadows came in two pieces. This made inserting and removing
them quite easy. For whatever reason these two elements combined and now we have a nice
cylinder that challenges the patience and dexterity of many an owner trying to remove and
replace it. Yes you do have to use force and push various bits aside to get it in the slot."

The workshop manual recommends removing the under-wing air-box to replace the later filters. I think I will go with Bill's method, unless it looks like I might damage the filter.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've replaced the newer type a couple of times on my Silver Shadow 11 without much difficulty, it seems to depend on the approach taken but it can be a little awkward. From memory I think I removed the lower half of the flexi pipes to get as much stuff as possible out of the way and make access easier.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Exactly Geoff, my Shadow (I) had the original old ssystem and I replaced it myself.
Maybe you still have some parts from the old sytem which are no more necessary , or you are missing some because the first guy who replaced the original one did not know he had to add a gasket ?
Just suggestions...you problem may be linked to the old filter system you descrbe.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Folks

Thanks for all the help and comments.

I fitted the new air filter, which in the event went in very easily - just a slight push to get it past the bonnet hinge mechanism. However, being the pedant that I am, I still don't quite understand why RR designed the air filter system this way. I would have thought the housing that fits over the filter and is held in place by the knurled knob would have sealed against the end of the filter. Not the case - there is about 1/8" gap which means that some of the air can bypass the filter rather than being forced through it. There are no seals listed - I guess it's just the way they designed it. Oh well.

These engines are known for their longevity so that small amount of bypassed, unfiltered air cannot be doing any damage.

Geoff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts