Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with after-market exhaust parts? I'd be particularly interested in thoughts regarding the stainless steel parts supplied by Flying Spares.

My intermediate silencers and back are genuine Crewe stainless parts in decent nick, but everthing forward of that is mild steel and in various states of coming apart or looking like it's about to.

I was thinking of doing the front silencers in Crewe stainless, since there's not a huge cost difference there.

But there is a big cost difference in the front downpipes and balance pipe, and as I understand it the Crewe parts aren't even stainless steel. (The downpipes are hot enough often enough that they probably aren't much of an issue, and you can make a nice bellows for the balance pipe out of mild steel whereas you have to use a flexi-tube in stainless, so I can see why Crewe keeps it that way. But Ireland is wetter than wet and the car doesn't see constant use....)

So I was thinking of going with Flying Spares' aftermarket stainless pieces for the downpipes and balance pipe.

Thoughts?

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Good question. My belief is that when in doubt go with the best materials as they tend to not only operate correctly, they also have a longer lifespan. One note is that here in the States we have a service called Jet*Hot coating (www.jet-hot.com). Basically, it is a process where the pipes are ceramic coated and this tends to lower the operations temperatures while further extending the life of the exhaust pipes. Racers use such coatings all the time so perhaps get good pipes and then have them sent of to your local ceramic coating facility (both inside and outside coating of the pipes). This will reduce the chance of any rust due to the prolonged dampness and lack of you driving the car too. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Steven.

I hadn't considered the JetHot coatings. I used them about 10 years ago on a Formula Ford with good success.

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ahhh FF, great fun cars to drive! Love the way they drift through some of the corners for max speed. Truly a thing of beauty! i raced FC (Formula 2000) and eanred the Driver's Championship here in the States. Yes, JetHot coat it and you should be all set since the car just sits around in the damp at times.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Exhaust replacement

@ Jeyjey,

there's an offer on EBAY.co.uk

Silver Shadow 1 : 563,75 GBP
Silver Spirit: 615 GBP

This is for a COMPLETE STAINLESS SET 8)

Don't know about the shipping, it isn't mentioned in the add...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

And well done, Steven! I did manage a 3rd-place finish at Sears Point once, but that was well above my usual placement. ;)

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I fitted a stainless system that came from a reputable supplier to my Shadow (1). There were no problems in fitting it and it is what it is suposed to be. However, there is a resonance at 70 mph which sounds like the back axle bearings are in trouble. It has gone again by about 73mph.
I've talked to others an apparently this is not unusual at some speed between 60 and 80mph.
My conclusion is if you want the car to sound exactly as designed fit a new mild steel system very 3 to 4 years. If you want a lifetime system, fit stainless but be prepared for a lttle bit of resonance.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think most of the resonance is in the intermediates or rear piping and/or silencers. In any case, I've got all Crewe parts back there, and I still get a bit of it right around 70mph.

If you could narrow it down to the pipe or silencer producing it, I wonder if wrapping it in glassfibre exhaust tape would deaden it?

-- Jeff.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yikes, this is getting expensive already, and I haven't even ordered any exhaust parts yet.

I've done a lot of restorations and maintenance over the years with jackstands (and even sawhorses for the formula ford). But I'm not getting any younger. I spent a few hours under the car last week figuring out what I need, and boy did it show. I'm not sure if the time it takes to get up/down is more annoying, or the fact that I'm having to use reading glasses 'cause I can't get my head far enough away from what I'm looking at.

Anyway, all those years have been kinder to my bank balance than my physique -- so I ordered a 4-post lift. I can't wait....

-- Jeff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts