Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, getting round to fettling the car over the summer.
i am now tackling the electric aerial that never activated when the head unit is turned on.
looking at it, some previous owner has had a go at it and left it partially dismantled and no signs of the missing parts.
in my previous car restorations, i have not had had to deal with aerial repair.
any ideas if i can fit a ‘universal' electric car aerial, as OEM Merlin are 300+ pounds.
if not, any ideas re. repair in the UK?
cheers raj

·
Registered
218 Posts
You should be able to fit a universal electric aerial, the only difference will be the top where the aerial goes through the wing. Universal aerials normally are a different shape where they protrude on top of the wing. If you are not that bothered about that, fit a universal one.

Jake.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My audio techie fitted a universal aerial with no problems. Mind you I hit a bird at 90 in Belgium today and when I stopped and the aerial retracted there were a few feathers sticking out! I will check it tomorrow.

Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hitting a bird ( avian) at 90mph ...ouch
bird....RIP
hows the car Paul? as i know how spotless you like to keep your model T

thanks for the replies ..looking at buying a Hirschmann 2050 universal model looks easy enough to fit.
thanks again Raj

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Do you have the installation instructions from the replacement that you could share?

Also, do any two of those wires on the connector share a single 'slot' in it?

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is a modern substitute out: Hirschmann HIT AUTA 2050.
Costs pizza-money, works like a dream. Some (easy) machining is necessary to the (old) screw-on top, but I don't remember anymore how I did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the relies
so the loom adapter has 4 wire, one of them is redundant.
the aerial has 3 wires which is what other aerials have.
i presume the black wire of the aerial connect with the black wire of the loom.
i will try and get a multimeter reading to find the loom wire with the continuous live feed which i presume will connect with the red aerial wire
and consequently the command wire from the radio will connect to the blue wire of the aerial.
will hopefully attempt this one the weekend and post the results.
unless someone has the solution already that they want to share. ;)

cheers raj

ps i got the Hirschmann HIT AUTA 2050 as suggested.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
That setup looks like the standard one. I would presume that the connector with the two wires going to it is probably earth/ground and that one of the other is the constant +12V and the other is the signal +12V.

This is the arrangement of the replacement in SRH33576, which had the old aerial up/down manual switch and which was converted to use a signal present raise/signal absent lower arrangement before I ever got her. The red wire on mine is the non-signal +12V.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raj,
Don't throw away your old antenna. I'm interested in the core, if you ever want to part of it!
Best,
JP
happy to send it across to you. as you can see, i have inherited it without the motor drive.
if this is useful to you, PM me with your address etc
looking at sorting it out this weekend.
cheers raj

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
took about 45 mins to fit.
wiring :

car loom black to aerial black
car loom green to aerial red
car loom orange to aerial blue.