Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am waiting for my gas tank to dry out I thought I would try and figure out how to add and check the mineral oil? I don't have the owners manual and wasn’t sure what steps to take. Does the car need to be running? Its hard to see but doesn’t look like there is any oil at all from the outside. What are the the steps for opening and looking on the inside?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx yeah I know but I didn't see if the car should be running etc..I guest first step get the mineral oil and 2nd step read the manual.. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I always check mine with engine off after it’s been standing a week or so - I find if I check it when running etc when she sits it drains out the overflow when everything drains down.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
It does not change running or not from my experience because when you stop mineral oil is coming back very slowly to the tank.
Most important is that engine should have run at least 5 min to load suspension , because after one week oil is back in the tank so level will be low when hot.

Start the car, leave it for 5 min idling then leave it or stop it and check level immediately, not few hours later,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know thanks for the info. My car has been sitting for a while..

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
The level in the reservoirs will be at its highest after sitting for some time because pressure leak down in the accumulators will force fluid in them back to the reservoirs. Check in the boot (trunk) to see if you have a Castrol mineral oil bottle with a fill tube. It will be either in the well where the battery is located or behind the front panel in the boot. If you do not have a fill tube you can remove the placard on top of the reservoirs then the lock wire then the fill caps and top them up that way. The setup is a safety design to make it difficult to add normal DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid which would ruin all the seals and hoses in the system. It helps to point a flashlight behind the reservoir to illuminate the interior and see the level of the mineral oil. Fill them now to the max level, then check after you have the car running. The level will only go down from this point once the engine is running and charges the accumulators.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent Jim! That was the tip I was looking for. I tried the flashlight its hard to see doesn’t look like anything is in there but not sure. I posted a pic of my reservoir. Is it pressurized?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have guessed it was empty because I couldn’t see any high mark from the outside of the reservoir even with the flashlight..It might be a little over the max see pic. The car has been sitting for a while.

Thanks again for everyones help I am definitely learning a lot. I worked on my cars in the 80s with my father when I was a kid Vw's, Porsche. I just recently started to get my hands dirty again.

The only calluses and dirt on my hands have been from the golf clubs..its a nice addition. :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts